• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP: light bulbs in HAB towers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP: light bulbs in HAB towers

11:52 just going into bedroom and the light goes out. That was my last old-style bulb. I'm now 100% with those new low-energy-abobs.

I hate them. Next time I'm in a shop with old-style bulbs I'm going to snap up a load.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

I know someone who bought 500 60 watt bulbs - He has a whole cupboad full of them
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I bought 20 100W bulbs 2 weeks ago. There is a source if you know where to look.

Comment

I just want bulbs that fit in my light fittings, come on right away, and don't cost a fortune.

Silly of me.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I just want bulbs that fit in my light fittings, come on right away, and don't cost a fortune.

Silly of me.
          Think of the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Comment

Most hardware shops still sell them.

Comment

I've never bought a single one of these low-energy bulbs. I was given half a dozen of them last year by one of the electricity companies. Scottish Power I think and they don't even provide in London.

I was looking for a brighter bulb for my lounge and I found that my local Tesco's don't sell the old-style bulbs anymore (at least that is what I was told by some 'helper'). I've not tried in the local hardware store; I've got to go that way later, I'll pop in.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                11:52 just going into bedroom and the light goes out. That was my last old-style bulb. I'm now 100% with those new low-energy-abobs.

I hate them. Next time I'm in a shop with old-style bulbs I'm going to snap up a load.
                Talking of light - I have to make a wee confession HAB - regarding those sunspots dissapearing - I have to put my hand up - its my fault - but I can assure you my intentions were good.

Perhaps you might be aware - but the energy requirements of a Time Machine are pretty enormous - normally thats isnt too great a problem since weve been able to harness the energy from Gamma Rays.

Thats fine - except the Gamma Ray convertor has been playing up - and try as I might I cannot seem to get the damn thing up and running.

To compund matters - the expected Gamma Ray burst from Betelgeuse has fallen short of our expectaions - it would be unethical to hope for a large burst as this might toast the Solar System - so using your Sun's energy seemed like a good idea at the time.

So - I 'borrowed' some energy from your Sun's reactor - the upshot being that I seemed to have caused a wee problem insofar as the Suns reactor does not seem to be able to produce energy quite as before - and the magentosphere seems a bit unstable - perhaps I overdid the energy transfer - hence the Sunspots dissapreaing.

Rest assured we are working on a solution for this issue and you shall receive status updates accordingly.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 21 August 2009, 08:26.

Comment

I want to know why we can't have bright low energy bulbs. They only seem to go up to 60W equivalents (which are as bright as 40W was). Occasionally I see a 100W equivalent (which isn't either).

But the Missus likes 150W bulbs in the kitchen. So where is the 150W and 200W equivalants? Surely there is no reason why we cannot have brighter bulbs than we had before, not dimmer ones.

And where are the low-energy daylight bulbs? I have yet to find one. I work under one in model making; the Missus does in her craft work.

And where are the low-energy 'soft tone' bulbs that have a slight colour? We used to use soft tone bulbs in the bedrooms but WTF are the low energy ones?

And where are the straight forward coloured bulbs? When my big brothers were teenagers, they put a red bulb in their bedroom, Teenager's Rights, innit? So where are the coloured low-energy bulbs?

And why can't they make low energy bulbs that fit in the light fittings?

And why do low energy bulbs need to cost so much?

And why don't low energy bulbs last anything like as long as they promised? We're replacing them at least as fast as the old sort and we get failures out of the box that I do not recall ever having with the old sort.

And - and now I get really cross - if these 'low energy' bulbs are so environmentally friendly, why can you not put them in the domestic rubbish but have to put them with the fluorescents to be processed like the toxic waste they are? Why are they made from materials that require lots of processing instead of the old 'glass bulb, Argon and a bit of mild steel'? They take far more energy to make, weigh more so need more energy to ship, have to be imported so have an energy burden in transport, and take lots of energy to dispose of.

Low energy bulbs are a low-cost, high energy, low-quality, high polluting scam.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Give 'em back. There still isn't any sunspots.

We'll all gonna be in trouble if it continues like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X