• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye Sun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Sun

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8213425.stm

The US Justice Department has given its approval for business software firm Oracle to take over computer hardware software maker Sun Microsystems.

The $7.4bn (£4.5bn) deal was agreed by the two in April this year, but still needs approval from the European Commission before it can be concluded.

The acquisition gives Oracle control over Java, a key programming language used in its products.

The takeover had been held up over questions about licensing Java.

The language is used in billions of electronic devices across the world.

That's the end of Java then. No doubt Oracle will want £1000 for every runtime. They make MS look like saints.

Does this mean we'll now get Java based teletext on ITV?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If it means no more spending ages trying to get the right patched version of the JRE to work with your specific customised version of Oracle, then good.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Phew, I was worried then.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          That's the end of Java then. No doubt Oracle will want £1000 for every runtime. They make MS look like saints.
          It was effectively open sourced years ago and there are competing versions of java if you really want to use them.

They ain't interested in java anyway, mySQL support monies is what they are after.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            It was effectively open sourced years ago and there are competing versions of java if you really want to use them.

They ain't interested in java anyway, mySQL support monies is what they are after.
            Can you provide a link pls to how Java is Open Source?

What does the licence from Sun say if you use Java?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Can you provide a link pls to how Java is Open Source?

What does the licence from Sun say if you use Java?
              http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#a2

It is effectively ran by the Java Community Process as well, SUN handed it over years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                If it means no more spending ages trying to get the right patched version of the JRE to work with your specific customised version of Oracle, then good.
                That reminds me of something we discovered in the run up to Y2K. Everyone and his dog were distributing Java with their own apps, all slightly different versions of course.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

No doubt. I remember how much Oracle jacked up the licence costs for DEC's Rdb when they acquired it.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X