• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please make Cyberman's ban only temporary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please make Cyberman's ban only temporary

Dear administrator,

I understand why you banned Cyberman. I also understand you want to change the content of the fora on CUK and the behaviour of those of us on here.

However, I would like to see him back, once everything has cooled down.

Firstly, would you mind setting down the new rules? Otherwise we are going to see more bannings. For example, despite what you said yesterday, there is already a party thread in General. Unless you make it clear what you want, we cannot easily conform. That is not good for the forum nor fair on us as users.

Second, what Cyberman said is no worse than many of us have said, and far less bad than the football threads usually degenerate into. He was trying to be controversial and it is such controversial statements that makes CUK such a busy place for discussion. So his behaviour was neither extreme nor unbeneficial.

Thirdly, although I disagree with 95% of what Cyberman says, I still think he is entitled to say it. He tends to back up most of what he says with links to news stories or some form of reasoned argument. So he is adding to debate in a cerebral way. CUK has been accused of being a Group-Mind and he is one of the characters that makes that accusation false.

Fourth, Ferret has a good way of moderating: editing out unacceptable content and warning the offender. I should have thought that would have been an appropriate course of action in this instance. Especially since Cyberman's comment was made at midnight; many postings after about 22:30 are less rational and shlightly lesh thougt through <hic>.

Fifth, if that is all it is going to take for a reasonably active member to get banned, it is going to be get pretty quiet and lonely here very quickly. Especially if an alternative site is identified for people to go and play in.

So, would you consider giving Cyberman another chance, once passions have cooled and the new regime of what is to be posted where (and for what post count) is clarified? He then has a chance to change his ways and I suspect he could become a valuable contributor.

Richard Cranium.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Dear administrator,

I understand why you banned Cyberman. I also understand you want to change the content of the fora on CUK and the behaviour of those of us on here.

However, I would like to see him back, once everything has cooled down.

Firstly, would you mind setting down the new rules? Otherwise we are going to see more bannings. For example, despite what you said yesterday, there is already a party thread in General. Unless you make it clear what you want, we cannot easily conform. That is not good for the forum nor fair on us as users.

Second, what Cyberman said is no worse than many of us have said, and far less bad than the football threads usually degenerate into. He was trying to be controversial and it is such controversial statements that makes CUK such a busy place for discussion. So his behaviour was neither extreme nor unbeneficial.

Thirdly, although I disagree with 95% of what Cyberman says, I still think he is entitled to say it. He tends to back up most of what he says with links to news stories or some form of reasoned argument. So he is adding to debate in a cerebral way. CUK has been accused of being a Group-Mind and he is one of the characters that makes that accusation false.

Fourth, Ferret has a good way of moderating: editing out unacceptable content and warning the offender. I should have thought that would have been an appropriate course of action in this instance. Especially since Cyberman's comment was made at midnight; many postings after about 22:30 are less rational and shlightly lesh thougt through <hic>.

Fifth, if that is all it is going to take for a reasonably active member to get banned, it is going to be get pretty quiet and lonely here very quickly. Especially if an alternative site is identified for people to go and play in.

So, would you consider giving Cyberman another chance, once passions have cooled and the new regime of what is to be posted where (and for what post count) is clarified? He then has a chance to change his ways and I suspect he could become a valuable contributor.

Richard Cranium.
    You cannot be serious
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Agree with RC

Comment

Reinstate the pantomime villain?
        King of Chutney.

Bring back Chetty - Lord of all things Chet!

Comment

FO, seriously.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Can't agree with you on this one RC - he was a nasty piece of work and I for one am glad he is gone.
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Can't agree with you on this one RC - he was a nasty piece of work and I for one am glad he is gone.
              WSS++

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Agree with RC
                You know, WHS.

The Scotsman thing was offensive but he should come back after a week.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

For my sins I agree with RC.
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    WSS++
                    Whaddydo whaddydo?? Tell tell.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X