• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Rebuild time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Rebuild time?

My old PC has slowly been grinding to a halt, I guess that it's time for a re-build but haven't got a clue how to do it.

I've done the obvious of backing up all of my files, but where to go next, I have no idea.

It's running XP and didn't come with a bootable disc.

Can anyone please point me to a tutorial?

TIA
    'elf and safety guru

Well, you start like this

Then you get like this

And then do this

After that you'll feel like a

and tell you're other half you're going down the shops to by a new PC

HTH
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Well, you start like this

Then you get like this

And then do this

After that you'll feel like a

and tell you're other half you're going down the shops to by a new PC

HTH
      Thanks Mr Hirsuite Butt

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
        It's running XP and didn't come with a bootable disc.
        Without an XP install disk, you cannot do the most effective fix which is to re-install everything from scratch.

If you can scrounge / borrow / steal one from ClientCo, then backup your stuff, reformat the drive and reinstall the opsys, then your apps, then your files and then you will find:

a) it is 10x faster than it was yesterday

b) you have lost your spelling dictionary, customised settings, browser history, those nice fonts you downloaded, your saved games, all your email (what was THAT doing under \WINDOWS anyway?) and a 1001 other things that you could probably live without.

c) you will be back up and working within 3 days with a really fast machine.

But without the Opsys install disk, there's only basic maintenance.
        - delete your browser history
        - delete everything in the %TEMP% area
        - empty the waste basket
        - ScanDisk all drives
        - Defrag all drives
        and those sort of things.

Mind you, if you haven't run a defrag for more than 3 months, doing that alone will make you realise you don't need a new PC.

Having done basic maintenance, consider upgrading the RAM. How much is installed?
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 22 August 2009, 15:55.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Without an XP install disk, you cannot do the most effective fix which is to re-install everything from scratch.

If you can scrounge / borrow / steal one from ClientCo, then backup your stuff, reformat the drive and reinstall the opsys, then your apps, then your files and then you will find:

a) it is 10x faster than it was yesterday

b) you have lost your spelling dictionary, customised settings, browser history, those nice fonts you downloaded, your saved games, all your email (what was THAT doing under \WINDOWS anyway?) and a 1001 other things that you could probably live without.

c) you will be back up and working within 3 days with a really fast machine.
          Just a couple of points:

1) Identify what hardware components you have and grab the drivers before you wipe. Believe me, there's nothing worse than not having the correct drivers to access your CD/DVD or NIC when you start a rebuild.

2) Make a note of any customised settings you have. Taking copious screen shots of config settings before you start can save much grief.

3) 3 days sounds accurate. It took me only 2 days the first time I did it, but that was a dawn to midnight job.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

One more thing - make sure you have noted your mail server settings and POP3 passwords. If you need to see the hashed out passwords in Outlook there is an handy utility on the net - Google 'snadboy's revelation'.
            Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Just a couple of points:

1) Identify what hardware components you have and grab the drivers before you wipe. Believe me, there's nothing worse than not having the correct drivers to access your CD/DVD or NIC when you start a rebuild.

2) Make a note of any customised settings you have. Taking copious screen shots of config settings before you start can save much grief.

3) 3 days sounds accurate. It took me only 2 days the first time I did it, but that was a dawn to midnight job.
              May I add that you download service pack 3 beforehand and burn it to disk, this will save you from having to do most of the updates.

Once done install office and any other essentials then take a ghost image for next time.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

With the price of RAM as low as it is, providing your Mobo supports 4Gb of RAM then you simply have no excuse for using less than this, IMO.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  With the price of RAM as low as it is, providing your Mobo supports 4Gb of RAM then you simply have no excuse for using less than this, IMO.
                  Actually, unless he's using XP64 (which most people aren't) there's no point getting more than 3GB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Actually, unless he's using XP64 (which most people aren't) there's no point getting more than 3GB.
                    Vista 64-bit

No point getting XP 64.... not much is supported under XP 64.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X