• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed and IT is the leader

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed and IT is the leader

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8217122.stm

Confidence among business professionals has seen the biggest rise for two years, suggesting the UK recession is at an end, a survey has said.

The Institute of Chartered Accountants' index of business confidence rose to 4.8 at the end of June, from -28.2 at the end of March.

However, chief executive Michael Izza warned against "underestimating" the challenges ahead for businesses.

The institute predicts the UK economy will grow by 0.5% in the third quarter.

Its forecast comes after the economy shrank by 0.8% in the second quarter of the year.

More than 1,000 chartered accountants were surveyed across England and Wales.

"This quarter's Business Confidence Monitor suggests that the UK recession is at an end," said Mr Izza.

"While there is no doubt that the UK economy is on its way to recovery, we shouldn't underestimate the challenges ahead for businesses."

About 41% of senior professionals were more confident about their business prospects in the next year, but only 6% were much more confident, indicating that some caution remains.

IT was the most optimistic sector, followed by banking, finance and insurance.

I knew the positive thinking of the IT people here would pay off.

to add some anecdotal 'high street' evidence:

my folks run a local carpet shop which has been hit very hard by the last 18 months or so. over the last 2 months things have genuinely picked up on a huge scale.

also, i know a couple of financial software houses, and their major customers have unfrozen projects and stated spending money again.

things aren't fixed but i do think they are getting better.

Comment

This would never have happened under the Tories.

Comment

...and Bob Shawadiwadi's plenty-cheapness legal loophole has been closed.

Hurrah for Brown - I knew he was right all along.

Comment

It will all crash again in September.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

BOOMED! Paper job ads increase 50%

I've just received Computing from 20/08/2009.

It has 1½ pages of job ads; that's up 50%

Oops. Sorry, they were small ads for PC recycling, a testing event an some council procurement crap. So it's just the one page. Of 3 jobs.

Stand down everyone. Go back to being depressed.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              ...and Bob Shawadiwadi's plenty-cheapness legal loophole has been closed.

Hurrah for Brown - I knew he was right all along.
              And Computing's front page story is how Tesco's are moving all their financial services development to India.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                About 41% of senior professionals were more confident about their business prospects in the next year, but only 6% were much more confident, indicating that some caution remains.
                Doesn't that mean that 53% were less confident?

Comment

Offshoring doesn't fuss me too much - it always needs us to go in and make it work. Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I've just received Computing from 20/08/2009.

It has 1½ pages of job ads; that's up 50%

Oops. Sorry, they were small ads for PC recycling, a testing event an some council procurement crap. So it's just the one page. Of 3 jobs.

Stand down everyone. Go back to being depressed.
                    1½ pages is about the whole magazine these days. Ever noticed that £2.75 symbol they print on the front cover, I wonder what it means?

Comment

Working...
                    X