• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daddy or chips...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daddy or chips...

Boat or car....

So, say I have around 15k to buy myself a toy. Narrowed it down to either a 30ft-ish sailing boat, or a TVR Cerbera.

Boat:

Pros:
    Great to have the odd cheeky day off work and pretending to be a pirate

Cons:
    Mooring fees, maintenance etc.

TVR:

Pros:
    It's a TVR Cerbera

Cons:
    I might just look like a slightly overweight, middle aged, balding man driving a nice car.

Feel free to quote this post and add any other pros and cons

Thank you so much for your anticipated assistance.
    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Wouldn't it be more fun to rent a boat for a day and not have to bother looking after the thing for the rest of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
      Boat or car....

So, say I have around 15k to buy myself a toy. Narrowed it down to either a 30ft-ish sailing boat, or a TVR Cerbera.

Boat:

Pros:
      Great to have the odd cheeky day off work and pretending to be a pirate

Cons:
      Mooring fees, maintenance etc.

TVR:

Pros:
      It's a TVR Cerbera

Cons:
      I might just look like a slightly overweight, middle aged, balding man driving a nice car.
      Garage Fee's, Maintenance, Sitting at the side of the road waiting for the tow truck being laughed at by the Chav's in their tacky Pug 206's with the dodgy body kits.

Feel free to quote this post and add any other pros and cons

Thank you so much for your anticipated assistance.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

A few of my friends have boats, the costs are massive, they offset that by taking people out for charters a few times a year, they get 600 for a day. And fuel is a killer now.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Wouldn't it be more fun to rent a boat for a day and not have to bother looking after the thing for the rest of the year?
          How incredibley sensible.....so that ain't gonna happen

stupid keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            being laughed at by the Chav's in their tacky Pug 206's with the dodgy body kits.

So I should look into a 206 with a dodgy body kit?

stupid keyboard.

Comment

Boat - definitely

Just bought a little boat myself (under pressure from Mrs Nexxy). Nothing flash - just a little 15ft job with an engine on the back. Moor it with the outlaws in Dartmouth + get to take it up the river whenever we are down.

Have to admit toodling up and down the river is the most relaxing thing - wish we had done it years ago

Comment

Do not underestimate the maintenance cost and work involved in owning a boat. If you are familiar with it, fine.

If not...

when cruising the waterways of the UK, there are thousands of dreams rotting, mildewing, dying by osmosis and slowly sinking whilst tied to the banks. It is sad to see. Some of those boats will have cost £10ks, some only many £00s. But each one was somebody's dream, once.

Investigate shared ownership as an option. It worked for me.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Bought my first boat at 17 - a 23ft Norman Cruiser. Kept it up until 3 years ago (19 years) when I sold it on. Really enjoyed the inland waterways but with a sailing boat it would be great to get a bit further afield.

And if the missus kicks me out, it beats sleeping in the car

stupid keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
                    Bought my first boat at 17 - a 23ft Norman Cruiser. Kept it up until 3 years ago (19 years) when I sold it on. Really enjoyed the inland waterways but with a sailing boat it would be great to get a bit further afield.

And if the missus kicks me out, it beats sleeping in the car
                    They used to build those in my home town!

Comment

Working...
                    X