• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B Website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B Website

Should I use;

Frontpage (recently used for a charity Website but I wasn't fond of it)

Joomla (or similar)

One of the website creation tools offered by the likes of Easily or 1 & 1?

What are the benefits/disadvantages of each type and for options 2 & 3, which work best in that they're easy to use and customer services are reasonable and actually answer the phone?

Many thanks in advance
    'elf and safety guru

Couldn't possibly answer that unless you tell us what the requirements are.

Comment

If you have to write a lot of content and update it regularly then
      probably joomla, with joomla you can easily
      apply different skins and styles, but if it's just a simple site with static pages
      then front page or anything else would be easier.
      Last edited by Bright Spark; 24 August 2009, 16:58. Reason: spelling, grammar, logic and punctuation :-)

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        Couldn't possibly answer that unless you tell us what the requirements are.
        Typical IT answer

Half a dozen pages, nothing fancy with regards to graphics etc, couple of photos, wouldn't know what to do with a database, no blogs (see answer for databases ), not selling anything... simples...
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
          Typical IT answer
          Typical luser response.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Frontpage

As somebody once said: "If you're worried about other people copying your work, use FrontPage. People will still be able to view your code, but nobody will want to steal it."

Comment

Should I use;

Frontpage (recently used for a charity Website but I wasn't fond of it)

Joomla (or similar)

One of the website creation tools offered by the likes of Easily or 1 & 1?

What are the benefits/disadvantages of each type and for options 2 & 3, which work best in that they're easy to use and customer services are reasonable and actually answer the phone?

Many thanks in advance
              Have a look at php-fusion. Easy to manage.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Half a dozen pages, nothing fancy with regards to graphics etc, couple of photos, wouldn't know what to do with a database, no blogs (see answer for databases ), not selling anything... simples...
                Notepad.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

thelace - I'm assuming web development isn't your core skillset - so using notepad++ is out of the question? For a simple site like this though, unless speed is an issue, I'd consider learning the basics of HTML and CSS, and doing it yourself.

Take a look at w3schools, open notepad and tinker away - it won't be difficult for you if you have any programming experience, and even without it, it's not that hard to pick up the basics.

If you can't be bothered with this, then either:
                  • Use a WYSIWYG application, such as Dreamweaver. NOT Frontpage.
                  • Design the site in Photoshop and get a mate to slice and dice it for you. I know one or two benched posters here that would do this for a reasonable fee.
                  • Get a student to do it for Pot Noodle money.
                  • Use a simple template, like wordpress. There's some great wordpress templates out there that you can use - a basic content management system (CMS) could be just what you need.
                  I'm sure the congregation will suggest other ideas - I've been out of the CMS game for a while. What I do know is you're better off choosing the simplest CMS for your needs as opposed to, say, Drupal or Joomla.

Although, for the effort and based on your description, I'd probably just do it yourself and post here for advice. Heed NF's sage words on this topic.

To get you started, create a new notepad file and paste this in:
                  Code:
                  <html>
                  <head>
                  <title>thelace and his first stab at HTML</title>
                  </head>
                  <body>
                  <h1>This is about as basic as it gets</h1>
                  <p>There&rsquo;s obviously more to this HTML lark as it seems, such as what is &rsquo; all about? But the basics are mostly <a href="http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp" title="a great resource for you">here at w3schools</a> for you to find.</p>
                  <p>HTML comes in all sorts of flavours, and is essentially just the <em>content</em>, the <em>information</em> fed to the browser - you&rsquo;ll need to know a bit of CSS, but that&rsquo;s really rather simple too.</p>
                  </body>
                  </html>
                  Then save it as something.html and open it in a browser.

Off you go.
                  Last edited by realityhack; 25 August 2009, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    To get you started, create a new notepad file and paste this in:
                    Code:
                    <html>
                    <head>
                    <title>thelace and his first stab at HTML</title>
                    </head>
                    <body>
                    <h1>This is about as basic as it gets</h1>
                    <p>There&rsquo;s obviously more to this HTML lark as it seems, such as what is &rsquo; all about? But the basics are mostly <a href="http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp" title="a great resource for you">here at w3schools</a> for you to find.</p>
                    <p>HTML comes in all sorts of flavours, and is essentially just the <em>content</em>, the <em>information</em> fed to the browser - you&rsquo;ll need to know a bit of CSS, but that&rsquo;s really rather simple too.</p>
                    </body>
                    </html>
                    You wait till NickFitz sees that HTML! He'll rip you to bits.

Comment

Working...
                    X