• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed

Got a 6 month renewal last month, then had my hours cut to 15 days a month a couple of weeks back. Just got an email telling me they are pulling the plug completely now due to lack of budget.

To add insult to injury, I had an interview lined up in London today & just as I was climbing into my suit the agent rang to tell me the role had been canned.

Not a good day so far.
    Last edited by wurzel; 25 August 2009, 09:10.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Got a 6 month renewal last month, then had my hours cut to 15 days a month a couple of weeks back. Just got an email telling me they are pulling the plug completely now due to lack of budget.

To add insult to injury, I had an interview lined up in London today & just as I was climbing into my suit the agent rang to tell me the role had been cammed.

Not a good day so far.
    Sorry to hear that. You've been working in Alicante right? What are your skill sets? If you've learnt Spanish, there are things happening in Madrid.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Sorry to hear that. You've been working in Alicante right? What are your skill sets? If you've learnt Spanish, there are things happening in Madrid.
      And this is what I love about this board - helping each other

Comment

That's interesting - where are these jobs advertised? I normally look on Jobserve & that's about it. I guess Monster would be worth a look.

My skillset is largely c#, asp.net, c++ mfc, sql server / informix & I speak Spanish reasonably effortlessly now.

A glimmer of hope perhaps. I'm back from Alicante for a few days & it's p*ssing down with rain outside. I don't want to come back!

Comment

That's interesting - where are these jobs advertised? I normally look on Jobserve & that's about it. I guess Monster would be worth a look.

My skillset is largely c#, asp.net, c++ mfc, sql server / informix & I speak Spanish reasonably effortlessly now.

A glimmer of hope perhaps. I'm back from Alicante for a few days & it's p*ssing down with rain outside. I don't want to come back!
          Occasionally something will pop up on jobserve. However the best place to look for Spanish roles is Infojobs.net Get your cv on there (en espanyol), but use a Spanish address/tel contact. Stuff like c# and sql server are always being advertised there, and the fact you're a native English speaker will be a plus. Madrid's the best place as multi-nationals usually locate there. Barcelona often has jobs going , but the rates are not so good.
          Good luck!
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Occasionally something will pop up on jobserve. However the best place to look for Spanish roles is Infojobs.net Get your cv on there (en espanyol), but use a Spanish address/tel contact. Stuff like c# and sql server are always being advertised there, and the fact you're a native English speaker will be a plus. Madrid's the best place as multi-nationals usually locate there. Barcelona often has jobs going , but the rates are not so good.
            Good luck!
            Excellent. Thanks for that, there seems to be quite a lot up there. I have renewed hope.

Just one thing, what sort of rates can you expect in Madrid? None of the jobs I looked at specified a rate.

Comment

Good luck!
              I'm not trying to be funny here, but just out of interest (as I'm already in a contract) are there likely to be any jobs like that in somewhere such as Madrid for an English person who doesn't speak a word of Spanish? Ditto Rome or Paris, etc?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for that, there seems to be quite a lot up there. I have renewed hope.

Just one thing, what sort of rates can you expect in Madrid? None of the jobs I looked at specified a rate.
                Lot more jobs for ya in good ol' blightly. It's booming here, I'm not kidding matey. I've got 4 back to back offers to start september and agents are still buzzing round like wasps. If you need advice about relocating back, just ask. See you soon.

Comment

Working...
                X