• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HAB proves his incompetence once again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I had things covered. I was trying to be so professional. I have a job that runs every day that backs up all my databases. All was good in the world.

Except, I want to take a copy of my reference data / time series database onto my workstation and when I look for the backup of the database – it’s only 2 Mb! I’ve been backing up the wrong database for five months. I migrated to a new schema, but didn’t change the backup job which carried on doing the old database.

I really shouldn’t be let out alone. I’m going to do some serious damage one of these days.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

You don't have to prove a thing to us, old friend!

Comment

We all do it. The other day I copied a file, did some mods and resaved only to find original overwritten. I'd actually just coped a shortcut.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        We all do it. The other day I copied a file, did some mods and resaved only to find original overwritten. I'd actually just coped a shortcut.
        Pros use FAR Manager - good Norton Commander clone for 32 bit Windows Console.

HTH

Comment

there's a package that prevents incompetence? and 80uu has it.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            I thought I had things covered. I was trying to be so professional. I have a job that runs every day that backs up all my databases. All was good in the world.

Except, I want to take a copy of my reference data / time series database onto my workstation and when I look for the backup of the database – it’s only 2 Mb! I’ve been backing up the wrong database for five months. I migrated to a new schema, but didn’t change the backup job which carried on doing the old database.

I really shouldn’t be let out alone. I’m going to do some serious damage one of these days.
            The main point is ClientCo didn't get to find out so no harm done. Just work out a scenario where you can blame someone else in the event that they actually want a back up older than the previous 10 hours...

Your secret's safe with us, HAB...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I wouldn't worry HAB, it doesn't matter anyway.

In fact, 99% of the work that is done doesn't really matter either. It's just that some people put a notional value on it and then think it's important.

Eg, let's suppose that you are writing and supporting code for the Stock Exchange. Now imagine it goes all wrong and the Worldwide Market crashes.

Sure, that's a lot of fallout, but in the end, the world will still keep on turning, and we'll find ways to get around it anyway.

I was going to say excluding control systems for things like Nuclear Reactors, but then again, if they go a bit whoopsie then once you deal with the mess, the world will continue spinning (not necessarily with electricity, but we managed without it for a good few millenia).
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

fatalism eh. wherever, whenever, however, whoever, whatever.

Comment

Working...
                X