• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance Again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance Again...

Hi, two questions to save starting another thread.

It has come to my attention that the security controller at the previous company I worked for has been stating to other security controllers that I do not hold valid sc clearance any more. Therefore possible job leads going cold instantly.

The DVA have confirmed this is not the case and the so called issue here is because the previous company did not receive my bpss forms so stating my clearance has expired. Though I did complete these forms and hand them in.

I only found this out as an agent called me back and explained the situation.

Do I have any come back with this or should I just move on and in future just state my clearance is with the DVA and ask companies to get confirmation from them?

Also during this situation I found out I have been cleared for 10 years but I was under the impression that the clearance expires if you don't use it for more than a year. Is this true?

Thanks,

I should ask DVA for advice, tbh, so you ete the right answer in writing

Clearance is for 5 years for freelancers, ten for permies, after which time you have to be re-cleared - but that assumes you are continuallky in a role needing clearance. However, move to a role that doesn't and your clearance will lapse after one year (for SC, it's different for other levels).

Also, while we're on the subject, it's the role that drives the clearance, not the person. Clearance is always linked to a specific role.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by digerido View Post
      Hi, two questions to save starting another thread.

Thanks,
      Complicated isn`t it.
      It does expire after a year.
      DVA might not necessarily know if it is valid or not. If for example you leave company X, does that get registered with the DVA? I don`t think so. The security controller of the next company you work for will determine if the clearance is valid or not....if over 12 months since you left company x it`s not.
      There`s a reason Security Controllers need to track which company your clearance was last at and when you left, otherwise they`d all just contact the DVA to confirm the clearance wouldn`t they?

I suspect in your case your clearance has been deemed to now be invalid even if the DVA have a record of the clearance being granted for 10 years.
      Last edited by SuperZ; 25 August 2009, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Clearance is for 5 years for freelancers, ten for permies
        Not so. I had SC once as a permy, which was only granted for a 5 year period.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

That's the part I do not understand. The agent who made me aware of the situation just asked the security controller at the company with the role to contact the DVA, they did and have now confirmed I am cleared - no problems. I appreciate what you are stating though.

Also the bpss forms are just site specific so do not confirm if I am cleared or not, the dva confirm the clearance, I think any way...

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          Complicated isn`t it.
          It does expire after a year.
          DVA might not necessarily know if it is valid or not. If for example you leave company X, does that get registered with the DVA? I don`t think so. The security controller of the next company you work for will determine if the clearance is valid or not....if over 12 months since you left company x it`s not.
          There`s a reason Security Controllers need to track which company your clearance was last at and when you left, otherwise they`d all just contact the DVA to confirm the clearance wouldn`t they?

I suspect in your case your clearance has been deemed to now be invalid even if the DVA have a record of the clearance being granted for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
            Not so. I had SC once as a permy, which was only granted for a 5 year period.
            No chance the role was only sanctioned and funded for five years then....?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No chance the role was only sanctioned and funded for five years then....?
              Nope, I was working for a company that were delivering a government project and contracted to until at least 2012. This was back in 2005.

Comment

Well there you go then. As far as MOD is concerned you were a contractor. Only Civil Servants get 10 year clerance.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well there you go then. As far as MOD is concerned you were a contractor. Only Civil Servants get 10 year clerance.
                  Ah, so freelancers & permies of contracted companies get 5, permy civil servants get 10... got ya, that'll be why I got 5 then

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                    Ah, so freelancers & permies of contracted companies get 5, permy civil servants get 10... got ya, that'll be why I got 5 then
                    Actually not always, I know plenty of permie non civil servants (defence contractor permies) with 10 year clearance and 2 contractors who got 10 year clearances (I saw the letters).

What it means is the DVA are known to cock things up on occasion, I'd be willing to bet your was a similar screw up Mr. Whippy.

Comment

Working...
                    X