• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To tell or not to tell?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To tell or not to tell?

Hi all,

Just looking for some general advice/guidance here.

I am a consultant and just got a visa that allows me to do contracting. Therefore, I am looking for contract work and will be resigning from my employer when I find one.

The thing is, I really like the client I am currently consulting for, and am quite enjoying the project, too. The client also likes me and insisted on having me on board.

I am pondering whether I should tell the client that I am looking to get into contracting in the hopes that they will offer to take me on (and pay less than they're charged through my consulting firm, incidentally).

The risk here is that various non-compete clauses in contracts may prevent them from taking me on. Therefore, they may get worried that I won't be around for long and insist on going back to my employer and asking for a replacement. That is lose/lose for me.

However, they could potentially find a way around those clauses or pay my employer a lump sum to take me on as a contractor - not sure.

Anyone have any thoughts/guidance on this?

I'm not an expert but I'd guess you are screwed.

You really need to find out exactly what those clauses are and weigh up the risks of rocking the boat (substantial, I would imagine).

Question - if you like working for the client and enjoy the project, why do you want to go contracting?
    Hopefully someone with permie consultancy experience will be along soon.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by gauche View Post

The thing is, I really like the client I am currently consulting for, and am quite enjoying the project, too. The client also likes me and insisted on having me on board.
      WHS. Sounds great, so why are you considering contracting ?

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        Because I get paid a third of what my employer charges for me, and I can barely afford London rent.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          £££? He reduces the cost the customer pays (since the consultancy are probably on 100% margin) and takes home more himself.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            £££? He reduces the cost the customer pays (since the consultancy are probably on 100% margin) and takes home more himself.
            Surely if the customer was cost-driven they wouldn't be hiring a big consultancy in the first place? I just think they may not think it worth the hassle to keep him on.

If you are doing something you really enjoy don't mess with it.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I've seen consultants from Big Cos go direct as permie/contractor before but generally it's just been one guy and Big Co didn't want to pniss off the client with deep pockets.

You need to make sure that the client gets a major saving otherwise it's not worth their grief.

I'd question whether this is the right way to get into contracting at the mo.

Best of luck though.

Comment

I have seen this done in only a hadful of occassions and everytime the person has been working for consultancy for several years and been based at the client for at least 2 years, hence the consultancy has made a fair wodge of cash out of it. Even then the person has always been in a position to provide additional business to that consultancy.

Don't be so quick to jump around chasing the buck, the industry is surprisingly small and if you do this too often you'll get a bad reputation and a bad CV.

Comment

Originally posted by gauche View Post
                  Because I get paid a third of what my employer charges for me, and I can barely afford London rent.
                  So why do you now need a visa to work? Why stay in London? Why do you think you will get much more than a third of what your employer charges for you anyway (that's about the right average markup between BigCo and newbie freelance)? Have you noticed that about 30% of UK contractors are on the bench right now? Is this really a good time to step into a hostile market you don't really understand?

Dunno what field you consult in: let's hope it's not business management...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

jump in - the water is lovely.

Comment

Working...
                    X