• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Girls and boys names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls and boys names

What makes a given name more appropriate to be given to a girl than a boy?

What if I make up some names : Geany, Acramanto, Bando, Jampi, flandango. Are these boys or girls names?

Is it just what we are used to and now we just accept it? So males could just easily have been called Anne, Susan or Dorothy <snigger>

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

What if I make up some names : Geany, Acramanto, Bando, Jampi, flandango. Are these boys or girls names?

Is it just what we are used to and now we just accept it? So males could just easily have been called Anne, Susan or Dorothy <snigger>
    A girl called Flange, perhaps?

Comment

Why? Are you expecting and thinking of giving your son a wacky girls name? (or vice versa)

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        Why? Are you expecting and thinking of giving your son a wacky girls name? (or vice versa)
        Dunno, just a semi-random out of the box moment, don't recall then trigger (which is a boys name).

Comment

Come to think if it what are the gender rules for nouns in natural languages, e.g. Der, Die and Das in German? Just made up?

Comment

Come to think if it what are the gender rules for nouns in natural languages, e.g. Der, Die and Das in German? Just made up?
            Pretty much.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Hmmm, a boy named Sue....?

Has a familiar ring(of Fire) to it...

Could lead to the (Falsom prison)blues though...

Comment

They aren't made up, they are all in regular use in the US

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Hmmm, a boy named Sue....?

Has a familiar ring(of Fire) to it...

Could lead to the (Falsom prison)blues though...
                  You are a member of RTR AICMFP

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    You are a member of RTR AICMFP
                    I'm not but my mate Blakey was!

Comment

Working...
                    X