• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Applying for 1st contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for 1st contracts

Hi All,

I'm just about to start applying for a whole bunch of suitable contracts. However, seeing as it would be my first contract I am wondering whether or not to update and include my company details on my CV?

Ok, so it might sound like a stupid question but due to just starting up, could I do more damage to my application using my company details but then not having a website in place (Well I do, but it simply states coming soon!)? I wasn't planning on including the url for the site but lets face it, it's not exactly going to be a secret once they see the e-mail address.

So what do you folk recommend?

Oh and thanks in advance

Put up a brief summary of the services you provide.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyMarkus View Post
      Hi All,

I'm just about to start applying for a whole bunch of suitable contracts. However, seeing as it would be my first contract I am wondering whether or not to update and include my company details on my CV?

Ok, so it might sound like a stupid question but due to just starting up, could I do more damage to my application using my company details but then not having a website in place (Well I do, but it simply states coming soon!)? I wasn't planning on including the url for the site but lets face it, it's not exactly going to be a secret once they see the e-mail address.

So what do you folk recommend?

Oh and thanks in advance
      It's very unlikely that a hiring manager will have the time to look at your website even if it were interesting. When I scanned CVs, I just read what the guy had done in his last job and briefly looked at other companies a guy had worked for previously. The better known ones obviously having a bigger effect than companies I've never heard of.
      Last edited by mace; 26 August 2009, 10:11.

Comment

Your company is details are unimportant, so no they don't go on the CV
        As to link to company site, unless you do web design and your site is your portfolio, nope to that as well

As to the site it's self, as zippy said, but really it's immaterial and most people just put a basic site more for the tax man than clients

Comment

There's a fair chance the agency will remove ALL details that could identify you.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Ah great, thanks for the speedy replies everyone. I guess I could as suggested put a temporary site up and then replace it with the proper one later.

I guess it doesn't matter to an agency whether it is a company or individual applying then if RichardCranium is correct

Thanks again all. I'll let you know how the hunt for the first contract goes

Comment

No point IMO

Comment

Good luck ShadyMarkus. Don't let the pimps get you down.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  There's a fair chance the agency will remove ALL details that could identify you.
                  WHS - the agency will remove anything that might possibly help the client identify who you are.

If you have no website, then why waste the space putting it on there in the first place?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Your Ltd Co website is of no interest to a hiring client whatsoever, they want a body with a certain skillset to trurn up on Monday, end of story. All agencies will remove any details from a CV that identifies how a client can contact you directly.

As a point of general interest, in 6 years my Ltd Co's website (and it shows well in Google for keyword searches) has landed me 1 days paid work. It has provided me with hundreds of emails and phone calls from people looking for free advice. HTH.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X