• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

can't believe agents are like this....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't believe agents are like this....

I referred a friend to an agent as the rate was too low for me, he got an interview but not the gig. I contacted the agent again after he re-advertised the role to apply for myself at a higher rate as clearly they were struggling to find someone.

Agent quite happily babbled on about why my friend didn't get the gig (very sound reasons too), when I phoned my mate up to find out more about what happened in the interview the agent hadn't even bothered to give any feedback whatsoever.

WTF - I ended up doing the agent's job for him.

What will make this interesting is I gave my mate as a one reference as the agent wanted two!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    the agent hadn't even bothered to give any feedback whatsoever.
    Thats par for the course really, a pimp just isn't interested anymore if you don't get the gig. If your mate had got the gig guaranteed the pimp would have been all over him like a rash on the phone every 10 mins.

Comment

Never ever received feedback from an agent and would never expect it

They are not there to teach you how to do/sell your business as they are not really "our agents" in the traditional sense (actors, musicians, sportsmen), rather just middlemen introducing two parties, the whole "agent" is a misnomer

Nice if they did give feedback, but not something I would expect

Comment

I referred a friend to an agent as the rate was too low for me, he got an interview but not the gig. I contacted the agent again after he re-advertised the role to apply for myself at a higher rate as clearly they were struggling to find someone.

Agent quite happily babbled on about why my friend didn't get the gig (very sound reasons too), when I phoned my mate up to find out more about what happened in the interview the agent hadn't even bothered to give any feedback whatsoever.

WTF - I ended up doing the agent's job for him.

What will make this interesting is I gave my mate as a one reference as the agent wanted two!
        Crikey! How long have you been a contractor?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          WHS. Who cares when you don't get it, the reason if given is more than likely a load of rubbish anyway.

Comment

Yet another 'I can't believe these pimps' threads
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              the reason if given is more than likely a load of rubbish anyway.
              Yep, I don't generally believe the reasons given to me as feedback. If you think back carefully over the interview and the interviewers reactions, you'll probably get more useful info.

When I was a permie sitting in as a second interviewer, the hiring manager would just invent any old random reason as agent feedback for not hiring.

Usually, apart from obvious technical incompetence, the truth was that there was something about the interviewee that the hiring manager just didn't like or feel comfortable about during the interview.

As unfair as it seems, I think that's fairly typical for the interview process. You end up hiring people who are good at interviews, rather than good at the intended job.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                About a year and so far working direct...
                but why bother giving me feedback about someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Yet another 'I can't believe these pimps' threads
                  sorry

Comment

About a year and so far working direct...
                    but why bother giving me feedback about someone else?
                    You were on the phone, s/he/it felt chatty and the sneaky, suspicious part of me suspects that the pimp thought you might be chatty about (potential) clients if s/he/it engaged you in conversation
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X