• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Statistics Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statistics Question

I have a system that generates a linear trend value based on a single array of inputs.

Inputs

The outputs it gives me are:

I've no way of getting to see the actual calculation the system uses for this, so, that's my question - how do I manually calculate the output figures?

Should this be posted in Technical?

Cheers

Probably but I never bother.

I could have answered this easily once but forgotten. It appears to be a linear curve fit assuming equi spaced intervals. Look up "Least Squares" method and use it to fit straight line, y=your inputs, x=1,2,3,4.

PS With so few points hard to be sure exactly what equation used. Could try all sorts pof eqauion with least squares curve fitting orders if that don't work exactly.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 August 2009, 20:57.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Sounds like a curve fitted to OLS.

Comment

you want to replace the system by building your own? excel has some simple versions you can use as a starting point.

Comment

Good point. Think there is an Excel add in you need to instal for curvefits.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks, the OLS seems plausible (if wikipedia is to be believed)

I need to manually create this in Excel, using Excel's built in functions isn't going to work, nor are any add-ins.

So I'm assuming:

Y X
            1 10
            2 5
            3 15
            4 20

I can kind of fudge the first value of 6.5 as (1+10)/2 + 1, but that's where I get stuck!

Cheers

Comment

Input = x
              Output = y

y = -0.0213x^3 + 0.88x^2 - 10.267x + 42.5

HTH
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                I have a system that generates a linear trend value based on a single array of inputs.

Inputs

The outputs it gives me are:
                Hang on. Shouldn't this be:
                Inputs

y = 0.8x + 2.5
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You could have solved that in under two minutes by plotting it by hand on a piece of paper.

Comment

maybe but it's not right, starting point is 10, then 5 etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X