• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon really has reformed the benefit system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon really has reformed the benefit system

I read today that, since 1999, Gordon Brown has:
    1. abolished family credit
    2. introduced working families' tax credit
    3. introduced the disabled person's tax credit
    4. introduced a childcare tax credit
    5. introduced an employment credit
    6. abolished the married couple's tax allowance
    7. introduced the children's tax credit
    8. introduced a baby tax credit
    9. abolished the working families' tax credit
    10. abolished the disabled person's tax credit
    11. abolished the children's tax credit
    12. abolished the baby tax credit
    13. introduced a child tax credit
    14. abolished the employment credit
    15. introduced a working tax credit

and none of them are/were called 'benefits'.

So...
    1. Was it all necessary or are we back somewhere near where we started?
    2. Who are the winners and losers overall?

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    So...
    1. Was it all necessary or are we back somewhere near where we started?
    2. Who are the winners and losers overall?
    It wasn't needed at all, although the UK tax system is far more complicated then it needs to be. IMHO, we've fallen further behind then we were when we started as a result of a phenomenal growth in stealth taxes. The basic problem with the whole Tax Credit approach is that you pay a higher tax up front and are then means tested every 6 or so months when trying to claim it back. It lends itself to mistakes and omissions, most of which result in the money remaining in the coffers on HM Treasury, rather than the people who are entitled to it.

The winners of sorts are the legions of Government employees who have a job processing Tax Credit claim forms ... the losers would be the taxpayers and people who lack the means to claim back what they could.

It's strange that, at the height of the British Empire, the total civil service staff numbered just over 4000, handling India, Canada, Australia and part of Africa. These days, with an island off Argentina and a rock in the Med, we seem to need 12.5 million government employees.
    Last edited by TriggerHippy; 26 August 2009, 23:47.
    The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
      It's strange that, at the height of the British Empire, the total civil service staff numbered just over 4000, handling India, Canada, Australia and part of Africa. These days, with an island off Argentina and a rock in the Med, we seem to need 12.5 million government employees.
      Pretty startling stats

Comment

Pretty misleading stats
        You can't really compare the 19th century civil service, with all 21st century public sector including the NHS and free schooling, which did not exist in Victorian times.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 27 August 2009, 00:21.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          You can't really compare the 19th century civil service, with all 21st century public sector including the NHS, which did not exist in Victorian times.
          I agree with you in part, but the NHS??? Do we really need something that's almost the largest organization in the world (except for the Chinese Army) to look after a population that's smaller than that of Germany or France. How do they manage?
          The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

I agree with you in part, but the NHS??? Do we really need something that's almost the largest organization in the world (except for the Chinese Army) to look after a population that's smaller than that of Germany or France. How do they manage?
            Based on recent personal experience, they don't manage but attempt to achieve a consensus. I've seen posts created, deputies to (said) posts created and I'll stop now before this turns into a full on rant.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Yup, agreed. I could rant as well. To return to the original question, I think we all lose because the current system has outgrown the capability of it's creators to control it.

Comment

.. It's strange that, at the height of the British Empire, the total civil service staff numbered just over 4000, handling India, Canada, Australia and part of Africa. These days, with an island off Argentina and a rock in the Med, we seem to need 12.5 million government employees.
                Same with the services.

In 1850, say, I think all the admin for the army and navy was done by no more than a few dozen officers and clerks. But today the MoD has 100,000 mouse clickers, nearly as many bureaucrats and clerks as soldiers in the army!

And in 1850 they didn't have computers, only quill pens. But we've come a long way since then.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X