• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double Glazing price /recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Glazing price /recommendation

Hi people,

I am about to get my double glazing don in white PVC with Georgian bars

This if for 7 windows, 1 door and 1 patio/french door.I have been quoted £5500 by britelite and £4500 by Anglian

Just wanted to know if anyone had any cooments on these two firms and what price they did similar amount of windows/doors done lately

cheers

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Hi people,

I am about to get my double glazing don in white PVC with Georgian bars

This if for 7 windows, 1 door and 1 patio/french door.I have been quoted £5500 by britelite and £4500 by Anglian

Just wanted to know if anyone had any cooments on these two firms and what price they did similar amount of windows/doors done lately

cheers

css_jay99
    doors are £900 installed, the 4500 seems more like it tbh.

Comment

Ermm, I'd shop around a bit more, try some local companies and ask around for recommendations... oh, and make sure they've back everything they do up with a 10 yr guarantee/FENSA registered etc...

I got a local firm to do my 7 windows, came in at £1900. Didn't get my doors done mind, but I doubt the ones you want would take it up to £4.5k!

Oh, and stay away from a company who's Style is safe shall we shall... I got the pushy salesman, long distance phone call (to check with the office for a better deal of course) etc - and had to forcefully ask him to leave in the end!
      In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Get a quote from a local firm that only work in your area, the national firms will send kids on NMW who failed the tyre fitter course.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Anglian quoted me £900 for a single locking patio door. We are having them do the entire block of flats where our BTL is as they gave the best price\quality quote. They also only use their own fitters and are not on commission.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I've got wood...

Plastic windows are for chavs and go yellow after a few years whoever you buy them from. Get some proper hardwood windows. A coat of varnish every 5 years and they'll last forever. You wouldn't go out and buy a cheap/nasty car so why buy cheap/nasty window frames?

Comment

So now we've got Chav window frames?

What about Chav plaster board or Chav 25mm water pipes?

Comment

I have read a few horror stories with poor workmanship in general with double glazing firms
                hence slightly reluctant on calling local firms without personal recommendations. Anglian price last night was an initial quote of £16k down to £9k (any other day) down to £4.5k (sign today) price

The consensus seems to be that the product is good or at least most people seem happy with their work.

I live in Bexleyheath Kent area.

when you say local supplier, do you mean just looking at yell pages ? and then also checking who's frame/windows they are supplying?

cheers

Comment

I got some of them chav roof tiles the other day for my new porch...

Anyway, yes, use the yellow pages, phone a friend who might have them...

Avoid companies who start at a high price (£16k!!! ) and then whittle it down because you'll be featuring in their brochure, special deal today etc etc
                  They are all trying it on... if you get a firm who's price is reasonable and they won't shift, you may well be onto a winner.

The company who did mine for instance, came in, asked which windows I wanted doing, measured up and then we had a chat about styles. Then he gave me the price, and that was it. He simply said "We go by word of mouth, and every job has it's price. We don't have time for sales tactics!" Twas a breath of fresh air...

If you can stretch to hardwood windows though, go for it... so much better.
                  In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

What the others said, 4.5K sounds pricey but depends on window sizes etc etc

Go through the yellow pages and/or keep your eye out for local Co's with a showroom and get a few quotes. Make it clear up front that you are getting other quotes and you should get an idea of a fair price. If you really want to play safe ask them for some refs and examples of recent jobs they've done. Make sure they are FENSA, some do offer a 10 year guarantee but weight up how much you are paying for this. If you can save a few hunded quid up front I'd risk it, I just did, once the windows are in they should last 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X