• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New roof

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New roof

Hi All,

I'm getting quotes for a new roof. 1930s semi. Anyone got a similar sized roof done recently? How much should I expect to drop?

Thanks!
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

im in the same boat have been quoted between 2 grand (out of work, desperate for money sole trader) and 4.5 (local well established 30+ years company)

i'm in a 1930s 3 bed semi

a lot of the cost comes from the legal requirement to put up scaffolding

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
      im in the same boat have been quoted between 2 grand (out of work, desperate for money sole trader) and 4.5 (local well established 30+ years company)

i'm in a 1930s 3 bed semi

a lot of the cost comes from the legal requirement to put up scaffolding
      Ta Jim, v helpful...makes my quote of 6 grand look a bit steep then (but I am in London)
      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
      - Douglas Adams

Comment

The quote will depend on 5 main factors

Type of roof : Pitched, hip, mansard etc.

Type of covering : plain tile, concrete tile, slate

Structure : Flat or pitched trussed or cut

Access : type of scaffold required

Size : After all size matters

Also what is included in the "roof" are you talking about coverings, beams, guttering, soffits, fasica?

Its all in the details

Considering the age of your property be aware that there is a potential for asbestos tiles if this happens you are Major big time

The best method is to get 2-3 quotes for the same work & copmpare them
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

http://www.ratedpeople.com is worth a look. i've used it before and got good work done. fwiw my roof was quoted at 10k!

forgot to add, it's neither 30's nor a semi

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
            Hi All,

I'm getting quotes for a new roof. 1930s semi. Anyone got a similar sized roof done recently? How much should I expect to drop?

Thanks!

Beware if you have a slate roof. Some cowboy builder will persuade you to replace with tiles. Tiles are more than three times the weight of slate and can cause structural problems.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Some cowboy builder will persuade you to replace with tiles.
              Then they run off with your slates & sell them thus doubling the profit of the job
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

should be around £3.5-£4k, perhaps ask someone on your road who's roof
                looks new what it cost them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                  should be around £3.5-£4k, perhaps ask someone on your road who's roof
                  looks new what it cost them?
                  Ha - tried that but was met by a thai couple and a blank look
                  - Douglas Adams

Comment

"Considering the age of your property be aware that there is a potential for asbestos tiles if this happens you are Major big time"

If the tiles are asbestos then take them to the tip yourself.
                    Just make sure that you do not break them up and that they are bagged up.

Comment

Working...
                    X