• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here we go - cue Campbell, shovels & the 7 dwarfs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go - cue Campbell, shovels & the 7 dwarfs...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4426856.stm
    Originally posted by The BBC Website
    Tony Blair's Cabinet colleagues have united to voice their support for him after his defeat on anti-terror laws in the Commons.
    Ministers say the prime minister was right to argue for 90 day detentions for terror suspects.

Chancellor Gordon Brown said Mr Blair had his "full support", while Home Secretary Charles Clarke took the blame for the detention proposal's failure.

Mr Blair has said there is a "worrying gap" between some MPs public opinion.
    Originally posted by The Sun Fish n Chip paper
    TREACHEROUS MPs betrayed the British people last night by rejecting new laws to combat terror.

They IGNORED the wishes of the vast majority of Britons and HUMILIATED Tony Blair by inflicting his first Commons defeat.

Gutless Tory MPs were joined by up to 47 Labour rebels as they wrecked the PM’s bid to hold terror suspects for 90 days without charge.

The vote went against Mr Blair by 322 to 291. And the limit was slashed to just 28 days by an even bigger majority — despite police warnings this could leave the nation dangerously exposed to terrorists allowed to roam free.
    Originally posted by The Evening Standard
    Home Secretary Charles Clarke accepted personal responsibility for failing to persuade the Commons to endorse the key proposal to allow police to detain terrorist suspects for up to 90 days without charge.

Defence Secretary John Reid denied that Wednesday's vote had undermined Mr Blair's authority, or made it more difficult for him to push through his broader policy agenda.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

They IGNORED the wishes of the vast majority of Britons
    That must mean vast majority of people i know are not Sun readers, good to know.

Comment

Funny isnt it, Tony sazs the people are wrong when he goes to war against their wishes as Tony knows best, yet he believes the poeple know best when it comes to detention of suspects.

If he was any good at all he would have proposed legislation that all MPs could have supported instead of his usual wishy washy rubbis.

If his cabinet and he are so outraged by the decision then they should all show some courage and resign.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

They IGNORED the wishes of the vast majority of Britons
        And WTF do "the vast majority of Britons" know? SFA

Tony Blair and Charles Clarke between them could not quote a single case where the police had not charged someone within 14 days, or where police had turned free someone who should have been detained further.

They could not justify a giant leap to 90 days. Even the police, who asked for 90 days, could not say how they arrived at that figure.

The "vast majority of Britons" is not a reliable benchmark.

Comment

F**k me does no one visit the ITV Website?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
            I don't think so. I knew someone once who visited MK Don's though.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
              do you.....

from the ITV site....
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
                That must mean vast majority of people i know are not Sun readers, good to know.
                I just wonder how many of those sun readers will still support it after they have been banged up for 90 days. When the CC Co. is on the phone and has registered them with credit agencies, when other creditors are banging on the door with baseball bats. When they have no job.

I suppose it is too much to expect them to understand Habeus Corpus, Or the 800 years of History that results in them being free to even make the statement. I wonder how many of them realise their ability to say what they want is also being severely curtailed. Maybe when they can't enter their own house because a minister has invoked the civil contingencies bill. Maybe when they get shot trying to enter it they will realise. Of course by then it will be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
                  I just wonder how many of those sun readers will still support it after they have been banged up for 90 days. When the CC Co. is on the phone and has registered them with credit agencies, when other creditors are banging on the door with baseball bats. When they have no job.

I suppose it is too much to expect them to understand Habeus Corpus, Or the 800 years of History that results in them being free to even make the statement. I wonder how many of them realise their ability to say what they want is also being severely curtailed. Maybe when they can't enter their own house because a minister has invoked the civil contingencies bill. Maybe when they get shot trying to enter it they will realise. Of course by then it will be too late.

Nice to hear that you like to read both sides of an argument!
                  Or are you stuck on the propagander from the "true Source" He! He!

Comment

Hmnnn

"I just wonder how many of those sun readers will still support it after they have been banged up for 90 days"

I wonder how many muslims read the Sun?
                    Why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X