• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I really should stop doing this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really should stop doing this

I turned down a new contract this afternoon, just because I want to spend next week at home and they want a Tuesday start.

That follows on from turning down the four month extension where I am.

I really should stop that, but I can't be bothered with working any more, so might just have the rest of the year off.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

The way things are going with the new boom, you could take a year off and then pickup a contract paying twice as much at the end.

Boomed*

*but only if you keep voting Labour

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I turned down a new contract this afternoon, just because I want to spend next week at home and they want a Tuesday start.

I really should stop that, but I can't be bothered with working any more, so might just have the rest of the year off.
      Take the rest of your career off. Retire rich...
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

If you're not ready, you're not ready. And it'll come across in an interview anyway.

When was your last holiday?

When did you last have some Me Time?

Catch some rays in the garden while there's still some left to catch and don't worry about work until the permies have been back long enough to start looking in their Inboxen.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I can relate to you - I was going to take off till Feb next year - but after 2 weeks at home - I could not take the boredom!

Comment

I turned down a new contract this afternoon
            Same here. Been benched since end-May. Got my first interview and offer last week, but turned it down. Ultimately, it just didn't feel right.

I've really enjoyed the last last couple of months at home, especially with the kids being off school. All outstanding DIY has been completed, new hobbies are well and truly underway (veggies garden, R/C planes) where I just never had time before.

One thing I'll say about the recession, your quality of life really improves (assumming you have a war chest). I think I'm ready to start invoicing now though....it's just that there's now work out there for me. Ho, hum, back to tending to my tomatoes and cumcumbers.
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

You only live once! Don't beat yourself up about it - lifes too short

Comment

Why not, as long as you have a good 'war chest' and skills are in reasonable
                demand not a problem, taking time off to relax and improve your skills build
                up plan B and spend time with family can only make you 'better' and fresher on the next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  When was your last holiday?
                  July (3 weeks break) - it's about time I had another holiday

When did you last have some Me Time?
                  Well, I had a pot noodle this morning, if that's what you mean.

Catch some rays in the garden
                  I live in Burnley. Chance would be a fine thing.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I live in Burnley. Chance would be a fine thing.
                    I know you're a Burnley man, but go and watch Accy Stanley as well. A fine football club. They play in the rain up north, so I hear.

Comment

Working...
                    X