• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap horses in a recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap horses in a recession

http://www.star-telegram.com/metro_n...y/1552097.html
    Never swap horses crossing a stream

I was going to make a comment about cheap horses and kali being offended. But having just seen her profile picture, I'm not so sure.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

That is so depressing - shipping the poor buggers to Mexico so they can be terrified all the way, knocked about and then shot (happens in Europe too). It's been going on for years of course but it seems the problem has got worse recently.

There should be a worldwide ban on the export of live animals for slaughter. We have abbatoirs, butchers and freezers after all.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        There should be a worldwide ban on the export of live animals for slaughter.
        That' not going to happen quickly nor without a struggle. Animals shipped live from country A to country B can be sold as "Produce of B".

Hence much of the British meat you buy has been imported.

"retailers are perfectly entitled to call a meat product 'British' even the meat itself is sourced from abroad. As long as the end product has been processed and packed in the UK, it can be labelled British." Link.

"A report from a UK pork industry group said some 70% of British pork imports come from pigs raised under conditions below UK minimum standards." Link.

The supermarkets don't want live animal exports banned.

And think of the uproar the media makes when the French farmers try to stop lorries with live British sheep being imported. Perhaps WE should be helping the French farmers by not allowing those animals to be exported. Maybe WE should be blockading OUR ports.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I know RC, I know. You are right - things won't change anytime soon.
          I don't object to animals (even horses) being taken for slaughter but I just think it should all be over as quickly as possible.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            I know RC, I know. You are right - things won't change anytime soon.
            I don't object to animals (even horses) being taken for slaughter but I just think it should all be over as quickly as possible.
            Sorry, I shouldn't have sounded so negative.

Wherever practicable, for the past 20 years, all the meat I have bought has been reared under good animal husbandry and killed under humane conditions.

Since the Missus did some research about 15 years ago, wherever possible all the meat we have bought has been organic (or even biodynamic) and locally reared as well.

I believe the concept of transporting live animals for slaughter utterly ridiculous because it is unnecessary, cruel, wrong from an environmental perspective and harder on the truck drivers.

So although I cannot change the system on my own, I can refuse to conform to it.

Comment

Hey, no worries about the negativity. I get upset about it and try to do my bit. I suppose people have to see the fear for themselves before they want to do something.

We are not going to fix this now, but it will be fixed.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
              X