• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Film Review (Partial)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film Review (Partial)

I went to see "The Hurt Locker" this evening and have just arrived home; I didn't get to the end for reasons that those of you I care enough about to have told, will know.

The film starts with a bang (no cliche here, naturally) and brings up the question of some of the more questionable actions of the US in Iraq in the recent past. It also deals with the type of US jingoism last seen in such works of cinematic one-dimensionalism as "Air Force One" and "Saving Private Ryan".

Lead actor appears to display symptoms of hypomania and is a straight-from-central-casting US anti-hero. As for the quality of the soldiering displayed: as Churchill might attest to there are a lot of very high quality American soldiers but my God their over-enthusiasm and over-optimism can be grating and this film plays heavily on it.

My experience of this film is based on only seeing the first 58 minutes before I had to leave. On that basis, if bangs, flashes and "all soldiers are good" / "killing the enemy is noble" are your thing, you'll love it.

Change your sig
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Change your sig
      Ta very much - done.

Comment

Better
        +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Better
          As for your sig ... say it again!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            As for your sig ... say it again!
            Woah, whoa whoa woah. Good God
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Woah, whoa whoa woah. Good God
              Or, as Einstein said (Mein Weltbild (1931)):

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilisation should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.

Comment

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilisation should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.
                Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But sometimes, you've just got to give the frakers a good smacking.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I went to see "The Hurt Locker" this evening and have just arrived home; I didn't get to the end for reasons that those of you I care enough about to have told, will know.
                  Can those of us who you don't care about start a guessing game?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't think Parliament did that one but I'll check the Bootsie Collins back catalogue too.

I agree with the statement but probably must confess some guilt and say I haven't always behaved according to it.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X