• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Rip Off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Rip Off?

Hi All...

Is this usual - I have just found out that my new agency who told me they could not offer me my full rate as the 'customer' was having credit crunch issues... is taking a 50% profit of my daily rate.

So my new employer tells me a I am a dam expensive resource (and probably thinks the full rate or near enough goes in my pocket) -

I think this whole position makes me vulnerable.....

Is this the same across the board or I am just with a particularly greed agency?

Cheers all

Originally posted by ContractorNW View Post
    Is this usual - I have just found out that my new agency who told me they could not offer me my full rate as the 'customer' was having credit crunch issues... is taking a 50% profit of my daily rate.
    As Tom Jones says, it's not unusual.

Nor is it unusual for agents to lie. In this case you have caught the agent out and discovered you have been shafted royally.

So my new employer tells me a I am a dam expensive resource (and probably thinks the full rate or near enough goes in my pocket) -

I think this whole position makes me vulnerable.....
    Indeed it does. It might be worthwhile the client replacing you through another agency.

Is this the same across the board or I am just with a particularly greed agency?
    They will all get away with what they can. It is that kind of market.

If the agent is indeed taking 50% of your daily rate (i.e a 50% markup = 33.3% margin) that is rather high.

What do you want to do about it?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

If have a notice period then serve notice to the agency and tell them you want the contract re-negotiated on a higher rate for you otherwise you are going to tell the client exactly what they are up to. The client doesn't have to get involved.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

You can call their bluff (and demand they stop taking the p1ss) - you've just got to be able to take the consequences if it all goes wrong...not many contracts out there...

I'd try having a quiet word in the first instance with the agent - along the lines of ' I've found out you're taking this p1ss, I'm hacked off, are you going to stop taking the p1ss and up my rate'.

Comment

If your client complains to you personally about how expensive you are, you could mention that you since found out 1/2 is going to the agent. Many people dislike using recruiters so it might get them on your side, and they have more power than you to get things changed.

Of course, it might also get you dumped.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hi All...
            Or my new employer is a retard who didn't know the day rate I am on. Why would they say you were expensive just because 50% goes to your pimp ??????

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
              Or my new employer is a retard who didn't know the day rate I am on. Why would they say you were expensive just because 50% goes to your pimp ??????
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Do you want to think about this for a bit longer?

Comment

you want to come round to my street , the petrol is dirt cheap.
                  Actually the price is the same as everywhere else but I discovered that most of it is taxes, so therefore that makes it cheap

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Sarcasm fail
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X