• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV. Help with updating.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV. Help with updating.

OK, in the final stages of revamping my cv (as the current one isn't working - so neither am I! )

I've gone for:

- 4 pages long
    - page 1: contact details (left off age); education (just degree and post degree IT qualifications); rest of page 1 - about 2/3rd's of it, is "carreer summary", all done in nice simple to read bullet-list format (because Agents and Clients are too stupid to read a paragraph of English.)
    - pages 2,3 and 4. Covers jobs I've done in the last 12 years (went back that far as a lot of it is IB work, so I didn't want to leave it off.) Just given a short list of company names for work prior to that (first on a single line, with a line following of "details supplied upon request.)
    - Each job listing is no more than 1/4 page long. Simple heading (giving Client Name, Location, and Dates), followed by opening sentence, then a 5 bullet-list summary of what I was doing.

Took my age off as I didn't want to look too old (ye gods, he's over 40!)

Took most of the version numbers off the products, especially for the older jobs (even though the products are still widely used and I have experience of the newer version.)

Highlighted Financial Services work.

Stated IT career of "over 15 years", rather than the 25 years I had beforehand. Took the (significant) number of years experience off all other skills listed. Just put "significant experience" instead.

How's the above sound? Good? Rubbish? What do you do/recommend?

All comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

What sort of work are you pitching for? I tend to go for development work.

Mine has very few personal details. No age or address.

A three line summary of my experience
    List of technologies and no of years experience.
    A couple of lines and some bullet points per contract - covers about ten years

Education details at the end

It is just over two pages and I wouldn't like it to be much longer.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Should be 2 pages max.

Comment

removed
        Last edited by PM-Junkie; 30 August 2009, 13:55.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What they all said.

I found this to be helpful
          Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            I believe the consensus is that CVs should have a SMOG readability score of no higher than 14.
            WTF is SMOG? So HAB does google and gets http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/campaign/SMOG.html

Analysis undertaken by Niace has shown average scores for newspaper editorials as follows:
            The Sun: under 14
            HR & PMs - 'bout right.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              Do a SMOG test or a Flesch-Kincaid test on your CV (google them if you don't know what they are, there are lots of online SMOG tests available, or read the stuff from the literacy trust). Complicated CV's are fine for the hiring manager (to a point), but to the entry level gatekeeper lots of polysyllabic words and lack of whitespace are a subconscious turnoff and you'll just get binned. I believe the consensus is that CVs should have a SMOG readability score of no higher than 14.
              My CV comes out at 21.6

Even the following:
              This is the curriculum vitae for Richard Cranium. Richard Cranium is a project manager. Manager; that is a very long word, isn't it children? Richard specifies, procures and implements Information Communication Technology systems for government bodies. He is very good at it and just because he is going grey does not mean he is an old farty.
              comes out at 16.2

Curriculum Vitae - Richard Cranium.

Richard Cranium is a project manager.
              Richard manages projects.
              Richard can specify, procure and implement Information Technology systems.
              Richard likes to work for government bodies.
              Richard is very good at being a project manager.
              Richard is going grey; perhaps Richard is an old farty.
              Is 14.2 so still a bit high.

Aha! Got there.
              What I Did At Work by Richard Cranium.

My name is Richard Cranium.
              I am a project manager.
              I am a PRINCE2 Practitioner.
              I managed projects.
              I specified, procured and implemented Information Technology systems. It was good.
              I am very good at it.
              I like to work for government agencies.
              I am going grey. Perhaps I am old farty.
              Do you think I am an old farty?
              Then perhaps you are just a f***ing retarded arts graduate who should not be employing people to work on taxpayer-funded, multi-million pound projects, you ignorant c***.
              The SMOG index: 13.8

I'll upload it to Monster at once.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                WTF is SMOG? So HAB does google and gets http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/campaign/SMOG.html

HR & PMs - 'bout right.
                Hey moron - try doing a little research rather than just insulting people.

Readability is a fact. Lots of techies don't get past the the entry level gatekeeper because their CVs LOOK too complicated. I offered advice based on my experience and based on research that seems to have an awful lot of truth to it.

But hey, you silly little children just carry on playing your pathetic little playground games. Clearly this board is no longer the place to post serious questions and give serious advice (if it ever was).

To the OP - sorry, but you are in the wrong place so you might want to find a board with grown ups on it. I withdraw my post and will contact you offline.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
                  What they all said.

I found this to be helpful
                  Cheers for the feedback, everybody. Much appreciated.

Looks like I'll be spending the afternoon "trimming" again! 4 pages down to 2 might be a bit of a stretch. I'll aim for 3 and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Nomadd
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

PM-Junkie - I think you might be over-reacting
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...