• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On-line will writing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-line will writing

Has anyone out there ever used an on-line will writing service? Any recommendations? I haven't got time to go to a solicitor, and I'd rather not have someone come to the house.

TIA

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    Has anyone out there ever used an on-line will writing service? I haven't got time to go to a solicitor
    Just how little time has the doctor given you???
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      Just how little time has the doctor given you???

Too much of a tightwad to take a billable day off....

Comment

Has anyone out there ever used an on-line will writing service? Any recommendations? I haven't got time to go to a solicitor, and I'd rather not have someone come to the house.

TIA
        Can't you just exchange emails with a solicitor? Most do use PCs these days.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Can't you just exchange emails with a solicitor? Most do use PCs these days.
          The legal profession is renowned for being a bit reactionary when it comes to IT, particularly the smaller firms

Comment

does this will writing thing have anything to do with your trip to aberdeen ?

i knew it was bad, obviously didnt realise how bad though

Comment

WILL options.

I'm thinking of using this one to draw up my will: http://www.tenminutewill.co.uk/main....f=2736&page=58

Other charity options are:

Willaid.org.uk which is a charity scheme that operates in Nov. A solicitor will draw up your will for free, in return for a charitable donation of 75 gbp.

Or Cancer Research uk freewill service which will pay the first 100 gbp in solicitors fees if you are over 55.

Comment

Too much of a tightwad to take a billable day off....
                Do yourself a favour and take the hit. It could cost your family a great deal more than a day's billing to sort out your estate if you make a mistake in your will.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

This is an interesting article from Moneyweek:

Intestacy law is complex but follows some basic principles.

If you are single and have no children your estate will be split equally between your parents (whether they need it or not). If they are dead it is split between siblings. Next in the queue are grandparents, then aunts and uncles, and finally cousins.

If you are married without children and your estate is worth less than £450,000, then the whole lot will go to your spouse or civil partner. Anything over that amount is split equally between your parents, or siblings, or nephews/nieces (in that order) and your spouse.

Children always make life more complicated – especially when it comes to tax! Should you die intestate leaving behind a spouse and children, your spouse would get £250,000. Half of whatever is left is split equally among your children when they reach 18. Your spouse would get the income or interest from the remainder for the rest of their life with the capital being split amongst your children upon the second spouse's death. If a single person leaves behind children, they go to the front of the queue described earlier.

Bear in mind that if you are not married or in a civil partnership – this is not the same as a 'common law spouse' – then your partner will get nothing if you die intestate. Instead, your estate is split between any children you have. If you have none then the death estate assets flow down a list of people, depending on who is alive.

Once again the law starts with your parents. If they are dead an equal share goes to your surviving brothers and sisters. Next come half-siblings, then grandparents, then aunts or uncles, then half-blood aunts or uncles. If the statutory list has been exhausted every bean you leave behind goes to the Crown.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    does this will writing thing have anything to do with your trip to aberdeen ?

I knew it was bad, obviously didnt realise how bad though

Just a coincidence, I've been meaning to sort this out for months, but like the other 87 things on my to-do list, I just haven't got around to it.

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    Do yourself a favour and take the hit. It could cost your family a great deal more than a day's billing to sort out your estate if you make a mistake in your will.
                    I've come to the same conclusion. And after charging clientco for being stuck oop North all weekend I think I can take the hit now.

Comment

Working...
                    X