• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My first bad experience as a contractor - Investment Banking - Ho Hum *LONG POST*

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first bad experience as a contractor - Investment Banking - Ho Hum *LONG POST*

Just thought I'd share my story with you and glean a few words (wise or otherwise) from the community

Basically after venturing into a contracting at the start of the year and having completed my first 6 month gig with a software house, I decided not to renew as I was fortunate enough to secure a role with an Invest Bank. After 2 interviews (they wanted me to come in for a 3rd, but I told them to stop being silly) I got the gig

Anyway I started 2 weeks ago in my role as as a support analyst (non management level) and the role started off VERY SLOWLY. My direct manager seemed to not really know what he wanted me to do and apart from the first day orientation I got nothing....he seemed very busy doing stuff but didn't want to spend time showing me the ropes (the usual then)

Anyway I sat on my hands for two days feeding off the scraps I was getting handed down. I did mention the slow start directly with the manager (but how far do you take it???), but he said he wanted to "take it nice and slowly" with me and not throw me into the deep end

My role, it seems, is to look after some support teams (off shore) and work through some ITIL type process improvements (easy peasy then )

Anyway, before you know it a week had past and I'd done little more than send out a few reports and get access to mail and what not.

Fast forward to this week and after another nudge to my manager asking him to point out the relevant contacts and let me know how I could be of more use, he conceded that all would rest with the return from holiday of another member of our team next week. When this individual returns we'd divvy up responsibility within the team accordingly....ok then I thought

So after another few days of reading intranet pages and wiki's I was pretty bored, but was looking forward to ramping up next week.

HOWEVER, on Thursday the Bosses, Bosses Boss came over and tried to humiliate me in front of the whole office...He basically gave me a pop quiz asking me to name the different business areas from memory and I couldn't remember.....so instead of stuttering and faltering I told him I know where the information is...however this wasn't good enough.

His words were..."You've been here a few weeks and you should know this by now....if you don't improve on your knowledge you won't be here in 4 weeks". He also asked that I complete a report for next week

Anyway the frustrating thing about this is that I'd tried to just keep my head down and wait for direction from my manager. In reality this guy actually doesn't particularly like my manager (thinks he is too quiet) and he prefers loud animated talk in the office (he thinks it's a sign of people doing work)

What have I walked into? I had a right mind to slap them both but instead I thanked him for the rollocking and told him that I'd work with my manager to put things right....

I am probably missing bits out, but I have mentioned all the important parts.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this type of management before and how they coped with it.

I am going to have to adapt my approach with my manager I think...but I don't want to rock the boat...

KL
    "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

I hate loud-mouthed arrogant tits like Sir, but he is paying you so probably expects some output.

Sounds like you need to manage your manager (one generally does)

Get after him, explain you're not happy being paid for doing nothing and draw up a plan of work between you. Keep after him.
    Maybe your manager is worried about his own job. Is abuse routine in the office? Any idea what he's told Sir you are doing?

Hope it works out for you mate, but you really do need to stick up for yourself and look after number one.

Zip
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      I hate loud-mouthed arrogant tits like Sir, but he is paying you so probably expects some output.

Get after him, explain you're not happy being paid for doing nothing and draw up a plan of work between you. Keep after him.
      Maybe your manager is worried about his own job. Is abuse routine in the office? Any idea what he's told Sir you are doing?

Hope it works out for you mate, but you really do need to stick up for yourself and look after number one.

Zip
      WSS.

One of the first rules for starting a new contract is that you must always produce something useful quickly, whatever it is.

There will be permies there resenting the amount that you are being paid and will jump at the chance to question your existence or show you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        WSS

Originally posted by kanulondon View Post
        So after another few days of reading intranet pages and wiki's I was pretty bored, but was looking forward to ramping up next week.
        That's why I try to avoid contracting in places where the intranet wikis are boring

The specifications for construction and operation of secure data centres are usually fun if you can find them - it's all lasers in the crawl spaces and suchlike Mission:Impossible stuff (the original TV show, not the films)

Comment

Make sure your timesheets are signed. Then go into Sir's office and

Well, maybe not. But do make sure your timesheets are signed.
          Last edited by NotAllThere; 31 August 2009, 07:27.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You need to develop a thick skin as a contractor.
            However from what I've heard about IB it sounds like its full of arrogant macho bullies!
            This is your first bad experience as a contractor, just learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Good Luck
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

First question - how the tulip did you manage to get into IB in the current market. Seems that getting into Fort Knox is easier at the moment.

Secondly - having secured the gig, were you not aware of the reputation that IB has - and that this kind of environment is exactly what it's everyone describes it as - people throwing their weight around humiliating people for sport. The high rates are not for your technical skill - it's compensation for being verbally abused hour after hour.

I think you need to go to your boss* and explain how you've had your ass shredded and be positive in how to move forward, yet at the same time assertive in that you need to know what to do.

There is a risk you could piss off your boss* as well - but if what you say is correct, you're on borrowed time anyway, so you have to take a punt.

Did your boss* recruit you. If the head honcho doesn't like your boss*, then this could be a motivation for him wanting to show you up.

* Boss = "contact at client company"

Comment

Sounds like you're working with a bunch of *******.

Best thing you can do is keep your head down, but don't let anyone give you tulip. Remember you are a contractor and always get your timesheet signed.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I know I need to form a thicker skin and I was happy I managed to just bite my tongue when said event took place as I felt like having a full argument.

But you're right...I have no one to blame but myself and I am in control of my own work.

I certainly get the feeling that my manager isn't very good at managing, and I guess the issue is I don't like working with such people and having to resort to nagging...

My bosses boss (yes I work within 3 layers of managers!) already had a quick word with me before said incident took place as she realised that my manager wasn't managing me very well, but he failed to respond.

Thing is, I get the feeling such outbursts are regular, but only time will tell. I think my manager is secure in his job, but he's a bit too hands on!

Hopefully the report I produce will hit the right note and will take it from there

KL
                  "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

Originally posted by kanulondon View Post
                    Thanks for the responses. I know I need to form a thicker skin and I was happy I managed to just bite my tongue when said event took place as I felt like having a full argument.

Sorry, but you deserve all you get. I've contracted in IB - and finance in general - for over 10 years, and what you are experiencing is pretty much par for the course. You need to learn to fight back. And pronto.

Here's an example (and it's an honest and true account):

1. I went to interview with UK-based German IB. First interview is with PM. Nice chap. All goes well.
                    2. Go back for second interview with IT director. Decides to leave his door open so all the people in the office can hear him interviewing me LOUDLY. The office wall is glass, so all his employees can see him, and he can keep his beady eyes on them - constantly.
                    3. Tells me - LOUDLY - that he "Doesn't like people who make mistakes." And "What would I do if I made a mistake and he came out shouting and screaming across the office at me about it?"
                    4. I reply - VERY, VERY LOUDLY so the entire office turns round to hear: "Well, if the mistake was genuinely my fault, I'd apologise and fix it. However... If the mistake was NOT my fault, I would shout and scream at you and give you such a bollocking that they'd hear it the other side of London! So, you'd best be clear about where the mistake lies before ever tackling me in that manner!"
                    5. Mr Big Gob decides to continue the rest of the interview very quietly from this point onwards.

And guess what? They came back the following day and offered the job. I turned it down as I'd had an offer from another IB (which I took.) That still didn't stop them coming back with a 5% and then 10% increase in rate if I'd take the job. Still, I wasn't interested.

In other words: deal with these cowards directly. If you don't fight fire-with-fire, you aren't going to last long in IB. And ask yourself: How do you feel now? Seems like you feel a bit of a "winker" for having let this guy get away with it. So, the question is, are you going to spend the rest of your life feeling like that or do something about it?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but that's the reality of the situation. If you let people treat you that way, they will. Me? I don't.

Nomadd
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X