• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract renewal negotiation tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract renewal negotiation tips

I'm back after a 3 week break tomorrow and I have 3 weeks left to serve of my contract. I am expecting my contract to be renewed. I am not happy with my current rate and I don't trust the agency to be honest.
    How have others in this situation handled finding out what the agency is charging for you or renegotiating a better rate.
    I've never had to do this before as I was always happy with my rate.
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I'm back after a 3 week break tomorrow and I have 3 weeks left to serve of my contract. I am expecting my contract to be renewed. I am not happy with my current rate and I don't trust the agency to be honest.
    How have others in this situation handled finding out what the agency is charging for you or renegotiating a better rate.
    I've never had to do this before as I was always happy with my rate.
    What is your relationship with the client ? If it is good you might try getting the info from them.

I once had a project manager who wanted me to stay on, but realised I would walk if I didnt get the info. Being a strict Christian he could not tell me what he was paying, but when I came back from lunch one day, there was a yellow sticky on my monitor with some numbers on.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      What is your relationship with the client ? If it is good you might try getting the info from them.

I once had a project manager who wanted me to stay on, but realised I would walk if I didnt get the info. Being a strict Christian he could not tell me what he was paying, but when I came back from lunch one day, there was a yellow sticky on my monitor with some numbers on.

AA helpline number?

Yep I'm going to try that angle - but I'm not sure if my direct client knows the actual figure.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

When all is said and done, it will come down to two basic points

* The agency will say "take it or leave it" - in a roundabout sort of way.
        * You will say "I think I will leave it and look elsewhere".

It's then a case of who blinks first...

In the boom times, you would have had more confidence with option 2, but with contracts harder to come by, it's much more difficult to bluff them out - and agencies know this full well.

How's your poker...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Nothing winds me up more than when people say they are a "good Christian" and that's somehow implies that they are some kind of untouchable saint.

Most of the time I don't get involved in religious argument, but when I do battle, I usually reply by saying that I am a "good person, full stop" - I don't need to be threatened with eternal damnation to motivate me to do good things.

Although having said that - your PM did sound like a decent bloke.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

Although having said that - your PM did sound like a decent bloke.
            he was, but his writing was awful. I think I gave that agent a nervous breakdown

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

* You will say "I think I will leave it and look elsewhere".

It's then a case of who blinks first...
              Totally agree. You have to give the impression that you are prepared to walk. Your bargaining position is obviously a function of how replaceable the client considers you to be, however.

Say you are considering other offers, feign indifference to the pitiful tulip the agent will spout, about how great your current package is.

You'll never know unless you try.

Comment

In good times...

I negotiated an increase with the agent....

They said I could either have the increase with a 3 month extension BUT no future extensions or a 6 month extension immediately...

Obviously I chose the increase and then stayed there another year - as the client needed me!!

What it made me aware of was that the agent offered what they thought was a higher prize - 'security' - when in fact as a contractor I prized the monetary reward higher...

I must read some game theory stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post

You seem to be doing fine with the business manual
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                    In good times...

I negotiated an increase with the agent....

They said I could either have the increase with a 3 month extension BUT no future extensions or a 6 month extension immediately...

Obviously I chose the increase and then stayed there another year - as the client needed me!!

What it made me aware of was that the agent offered what they thought was a higher prize - 'security' - when in fact as a contractor I prized the monetary reward higher...

How can the agency offer you an extension? or were they trying to claim client co would do that?

Comment

Working...
                    X