• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green technology - am I bonkers ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green technology - am I bonkers ?

I was up in Scotland last week and took the grandkids to Cruathin, a hydro electric plant buried in a mountain near loch Awe.

According to the spiel on the bus, this plant pumps water up a mountain during low demand, then uses the water to supplement the grid during high demand. It is nowhere near 100% efficient.
    So all the energy originally comes from stinky burning coal and gas , but it is doubly carboniferous because the process is so inefficient.

far from being green, this place is actually the spawn of the carbon-devil

???

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I was up in Scotland last week and took the grandkids to Cruathin, a hydro electric plant buried in a mountain near loch Awe.

According to the spiel on the bus, this plant pumps water up a mountain during low demand, then uses the water to supplement the grid during high demand. It is nowhere near 100% efficient.
    So all the energy originally comes from stinky burning coal and gas , but it is doubly carboniferous because the process is so inefficient.

far from being green, this place is actually the spawn of the carbon-devil

???

It's an electricity storage device.

Cheap electricity to pump the water.

Supplements the grid at peak times.

Comment

That station is designed for demand spikes not long term generation, it can be at full generating power very quickly.

Ordinary power stations can't just be turned on and off quickly and to reduce their output costs more fuel than you would imagine so it's better to keep them ticking over at efficient levels. Unfortunately during the night when demand falls off there's too much being generated so the electricity is used on things like lighting motorways and pumping massive amounts of water up mountains for the type of station you visited.

There's no such thing as a 100% efficient motor, generator or pump so it's inevitable that the power they get back out is less than they used pumping the water up there, fact of life I'm afraid.

Comment

The "Electric Mountain" in Wales is the same.

a) It is VERY inefficient to turn a power station down or off; instead the electrical energy is converted into kinetic energy.

b) Until a few years ago, at 21:00 precisely, tens of millions of kettles were turned on within seconds of each other. For just a moment, a HUGE surge of power was required to meet that demand. Dropping the entire contents of a lake onto a hydro-electric generator does just that. There are other times this happens, too. (The ad breaks in Corrie is another example.)

So, (a) is 'free' and is used to power (b).

It might seem silly, but it works.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

My undersanding is that they're used to supplement spikes in demand rather than having additional more traditional power stations that need to run at a constant output.

I think the Dinorwig one in Snowdonia exists to handle the demand of all the cups of tea being made during the ad break in corrie.

Comment

As Churchill said - nothing to do with being green, they are just regulators. There are a few of these plants around (see the Ffestiniog plant in N Wales).

The advantage is that they can respond very quickly to surges in demand.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

That Corrie reference was freaky

Comment

I am not saying it's silly

just not 'Green'

some bird on the coach tour was having multiple orgasms about how green it all was

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

just not 'Green'

some bird on the coach tour was having multiple orgasms about how green it all was

It is green in the fact that you don't need to build another coal power station in order to handle the load that this one does.

Comment

just not 'Green'

They use electricity that would otherwise be wasted so I suppose in a way it is green.

Comment

Working...
                    X