• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: BT’s plan for UK call-centre jobs runs into trouble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: BT’s plan for UK call-centre jobs runs into trouble

BT’s plan for UK call-centre jobs runs into trouble

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6816393.ece

'It was supposed to save British jobs and boost a demotivated workforce, but a plan by BT to bring back thousands of call-centre jobs to the UK from India looks set to backfire.

Yet, however good its intentions, the plan has hit trouble amid fears from British workers about the hours that they would be required to work to cover the shifts met in India. Unions are concerned that employees could be forced to change their hours to meet the level of coverage provided on the sub-continent, which is 4½ hours ahead of the UK. The rota changes could involve working on Saturdays and Sundays and until 11pm and, they said, it was unfair to expect employees, especially those with families, to adopt such unsociable hours.'

Milan.

Oh for gods sake, another example of Unions making it harder for employers to setup in the UK. Do you get Unions in India? I doubt it

Comment

That's just so lame. If BT force people to take 'dead' shifts that's one thing, but I bet they could find lots of jobless people willing to take those shifts, or current people happy to get some extra hours.

Bloody unions...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

WTF has the Indian working day got to do with it?

Any half-witted cretin would see you use the UK workforce in UK hours and the Indian call centre outside those hours.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Good point RC. When I worked with an offshore co they changed their hours to suit us.
          I believe some of them had children they had never seen.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Any half-witted cretin would see you use the UK workforce in UK hours and the Indian call centre outside those hours.
            Are BT selling their call centre services to multinationals who do need cover outside UK hours?

From the article:

The group’s problems stem from the disastrous performance by BT Global Services, which provides IT and telecoms services to big companies.

The division, once regarded as the jewel in its crown, hit trouble after it emerged it had consistently underpriced contracts and overestimated the cost savings that it could achieve.
            The hidden cost of offshoring perhaps? It looks as if they bought the hype about what savings would be and have discovered the harsh reality.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Are BT selling their call centre services to multinationals who do need cover outside UK hours?
              Probably more like we Brits wanting 24/7 service.
              Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Carry on at Your Convenience...

Comment

Whussat?

Call girls complaining about long hours!

Oops!
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

The problem with that is that you have two sets of office/telecomms infrastructure to support.

If you have one office whose workers are willing to provide both shifts and one that wont, guess which office closes!

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X