• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decimals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decimals

Being IT techies, we all understand binary and we all know that we use decimal because we have ten digits on our hands.

But is base 10 a good system to use ? would we have been luckier as a species if we had eight or twelve or some other number ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I dunno, ask the SImpsons they have eight fingers

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      I dunno, ask the SImpsons they have eight fingers
      I have eight fingers.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's not a species thing. The Bablylonians (and Sumerians? Phonecians?) used base 60. Others have been used too.

Edit: Wikipedia gives other examples.
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 1 September 2009, 09:34.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

In my first computing job I had to learn hexadecimal which came as a shock seeing as I'm a complete numpty when it comes to maths.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            would we have been luckier as a species if we had eight or twelve or some other number ?
            I'm hard pressed to find a species on the planet who have been luckier than humans.

Except, the dolphins maybe? - and they don't have any fingers
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The Phsychlo's used base eleven.
              But then again, they had six fingers on the grasping hand.

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Well any system that's a power of 2 (base8, base16) would be a good combination nowadays as it works well with binary, base10 is problematic because of the 1/3rrds and the rounding errors.
                Anyway hex would probably be a good choice for humans as it doesn't get too verbose with moderate numbers.

Since we can't even change the silly keyboard layout that we have for 100 years, I don't think that a number migration could happen without nuclear holocaust as a catalyst

Comment

Working...
                X