• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

7 metre sea level rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 metre sea level rise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...global-warming

It is calving season in the Arctic. A flotilla of icebergs, some as jagged as fairytale castles and others as smooth as dinosaur eggs, calve from the ice sheet that smothers Greenland and sail down the fjords. The journey of these sculptures of ice from glaciers to ocean is eerily beautiful and utterly terrifying.

The wall of ice that rises behind Sermilik fjord stretches for 1,500 miles (2,400km) from north to south and smothers 80% of this country. It has been frozen for 3m years. Now it is melting, far faster than the climate models predicted and far more decisively than any political action to combat our changing climate. If the Greenland ice sheet disappeared sea levels around the world would rise by seven metres, as 10% of the world's fresh water is currently frozen here.

This is also the season for science in Greenland. Glaciologists, seismologists and climatologists from around the world are landing on the ice sheet in helicopters, taking ice-breakers up its inaccessible coastline and measuring glaciers in a race against time to discover why the ice in Greenland is vanishing so much faster than expected....
    Still hocum?
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Yep.

HTH

Comment

7m sea level rise !

coool

will make a lot more places accessible to the sea, will be great for holidays and tourism

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
        Yep.

HTH
        No you don't.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I would just be a little wary of the article. It looks to me that there are two "facts" here that have been juxtaposed for effect.
          The wall of ice that rises behind Sermilik fjord stretches for 1,500 miles (2,400km) from north to south and smothers 80% of this country. It has been frozen for 3m years. Now it is melting, far faster than the climate models predicted and far more decisively than any political action to combat our changing climate.
          And
          If the Greenland ice sheet disappeared sea levels around the world would rise by seven metres, as 10% of the world's fresh water is currently frozen here.
          Is it really the case that the whole sheet is disappearing?

Or is it slowly retreating over the years?

Or is a Guardian journalist holding up a cigarette lighter next to it just so that the first statement is true?

Comment

And yet another reason to relocate to Milton Keynes (or Swindon). Could be the capital in 10 years time ..

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              7m sea level rise !

coool

will make a lot more places accessible to the sea, will be great for holidays and tourism

Milan.
              Clapton-on-sea still will be pretty tulipe though.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Er! one of my houses is only 5m above sea level (MHWS).

Anybody want to buy a house
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

And this is just a 1m rise - http://www.sunbirdmanagement.co.uk/G...onFloodMap.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                    Ah! so a 7m rise is not necessarily a bad thing then?

Most of London gone
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X