• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FFS - how do I deal with this one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFS - how do I deal with this one

My lad is eighteen, and after going through all the usual teenage problems and not doing very well at school, he has now settled down as a labourer working for my son in law.
    He is learning plastering, bricky-ing, a bit of plumbing, sort of everything to do with the building game.

Now my know-it-all brother has been putting it around that I am a bad dad and I should be employing him in my company, training him up to do what I do, and getting him into the big bucks.

I dont want to cause a family bust up, but it's starting to bug me.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Sit the lad down with your son-in-law and explain the pro's and con's, or more likely the con's of just working in the IT sector.

Then explain the pro's of working in the building game, learning lots of transferable and useful skills, like plumbing, bricklaying, electrics, etc.

Then ask the lad in front of both of you which sounds the more appealing and useful.

Your son-in-law will then have to abide by your lad's decision and hopefully get off your case.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Sit the lad down with your son-in-law and explain the pro's and con's, or more likely the con's of just working in the IT sector.

Then explain the pro's of working in the building game, learning lots of transferable and useful skills, like plumbing, bricklaying, electrics, etc.

Then ask the lad in front of both of you which sounds the more appealing and useful.

Your son-in-law will then have to abide by your lad's decision and hopefully get off your case.
      no, no
      the son in law is the good guy.

it's my brother who is acting the anus, sticking his nose in

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

what if he's right though?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          My lad is eighteen, and after going through all the usual teenage problems and not doing very well at school, he has now settled down as a labourer working for my son in law.
          He is learning plastering, bricky-ing, a bit of plumbing, sort of everything to do with the building game.

Now my know-it-all brother has been putting it around that I am a bad dad and I should be employing him in my company, training him up to do what I do, and getting him into the big bucks.

Have a word with brother and say that your son might not cut it in the "hard" world of IT.
          There is no need to mention any of this to your son, just the in-law.

I mean who wants to sit in front of a computer earning good bucks, drinking coffee, posting on forums when you could be on site in the freezing cold knee high in mud drinking coffee from a flask

Last edited by FiveTimes; 2 September 2009, 07:54.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            what if he's right though?
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

If it's what the lad wants to do, tell your brother to wind his neck in.

You have asked the boy though?

Comment

A smart builder will always make more dosh than a smart contractor.

That's all you need to say.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  If it's what the lad wants to do, tell your brother to wind his neck in.

You have asked the boy though?
                  of course, but he has the sense of direction of all lads at that age. One minute he wants to be an ace plasterer, next minute he wants to doss around all day with his mates.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

of course, but he has the sense of direction of all lads at that age. One minute he wants to be an ace plasterer, next minute he wants to doss around all day with his mates.

Sure, but that isn't the choice on offer is it.

Have you explained to him what you actually do or what other, maybe IT related, options there are?

Comment

Working...
                    X