• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permies

Many of you might not understand this. I'm not sure I can either.

I've a permie sat next to me who is giving up his job to study for a PhD in RF ID tags.

Yes that's right - apparently there's more to life than money, I don't get it. I just sat there looking dumb.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

How very collectivist.

Sorry can't offer any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I just sat there looking dumb.
      An expression to which you are most used, I'm sure
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've a permie sat next to me who is giving up his job to study for a PhD in RF ID tags 1.

Yes that's right - apparently there's more to life than money 2, I don't get it 3. I just sat there looking dumb 4.
        1) Each to their own I guess. Someone has to do the research in to these things
        2) It's true, there is.
        3) Which is a pity for you really
        4) See 2 then 3 for your reason

Comment

a PhD in RF ID tags.
          or "our future miniature robot overlords" as I like to think of them.

To me that seems like more of a contractor thing to do. Any permie who does anything more unusual than gardening and the occasional beach holiday is breaking the mould.

Comment

I've a permie sat next to me who is giving up his job to study for a PhD in RF ID tags.

Yes that's right - apparently there's more to life than money, I don't get it. I just sat there looking dumb.

Thats what I did a couple of years back. Was a permie, sick of dealing with permie crap and wanted out. Was on crap pay anyhow - about 25K.

With sponsorship top-up, doing the PhD gave me enough to live on - not a huge difference between the permie salary and PhD stipend. No payback required by sponsor - don't have to work for them for 'x' years. And the stipend and sponsorship is all tax free - I loved this bit. Maybe your permie has worked all this out and is a similar position.

Its a good life in academia - not at all like the stressful/ backstabbing/ bullsh!tting and all that those in permie land are doing to "improve their career" - for very little reward at all. Well I loved it anyhow, some people can't hack it/ are not suited to it. It is possible to gain some good skills in academia too - many of which are mainly useless in the outside world people just don't have use for it- but I have some future plan B plans on the back of what I studied.

Anyhow, from now on I work for myself, this I had decided long ago was my goal anyhow - the study was just available at the time and I was sick of permie land so was a stop gap and looks good on the cv anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

**which still goes on in a more subtle & gentlepersonly way...
              Admittedly it does go on, and some gigantic ego-maniacs to boot. I must have had a good department - didn't see much bitching there, but it would have been difficult to have been worse than the permie position I left. On the whole I enjoyed my time there and wouldn't rule out taking an RA (relatively easy life) or possibly lecturer (slightly more stressful with a pinch of bitching) position in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                RA looks pretty good... the ones around here seem pretty cool, calm & collected.

One or two are actually relatively attractive... (the female ones, I'm not that sort of GAL)...
                Are you sure.....

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                  Thats what I did a couple of years back. With sponsorship top-up, doing the PhD gave me enough to live on .
                  You did a PhD in 2 years? Are you some kind of phenomenon?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You did a PhD in 2 years? Are you some kind of phenomenon?
                    A couple of years as not in the literal sense but more like 5 years ago. Plus contracting for one year only. No phenomenon, took 4 years to finish a 3 year position, although some personal reasons did play a part.

Do you need precise info for your internet grooming.

Comment

Working...
                    X