• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange people, these business analysts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange people, these business analysts

Currently developing a few report for a laboratory system. One of the reports requires the mean and std. dev. of a set of a results.

Just been asked by the business analyst who specified the report - "What formula are you using for calculating the mean and std. dev.".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

+50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

To test your competence?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

A bit of sarcasm to hint that you’ve got the wrong results?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Said B.A. is from the subcontinent and has been resident in the US for over ten years. I don't think he knows what sarcasm is.

I've got him trained to the point where he doesn't just say - "the results are wrong", but rather tells me what results he expects and what he got.

Now I've just got to get him to explain why he expects the results he has.

Ah well - the downside of taking junior work. Still getting ++senior rate though.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Said B.A. is from the subcontinent and has been resident in the US for over ten years.
            Is there any difference?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Currently developing a few report for a laboratory system. One of the reports requires the mean and std. dev. of a set of a results.

Just been asked by the business analyst who specified the report - "What formula are you using for calculating the mean and std. dev.".
              Maybe geometric or arithmetic mean?

ETA: although I'm sure he could work it out by looking at the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                Maybe geometric or arithmetic mean?

ETA: although I'm sure he could work it out by looking at the numbers
                But has he ever done stats without a computer? Or without a calculator for that matter?

Many years' experience with the Yanks tells me you have to spell things out for them.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  But has he ever done stats without a computer? Or without a calculator for that matter?

Many years' experience with the Yanks tells me you have to spell things out for them.

Yes, during me masters in operational research...
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I was talking to the Finnish project manager. She says that at school, she learned 3 different ways of rounding - truncation, up (or down), and .5 goes up and less than .5 goes down.

Apparently, in the US branch, they've 24 different rounding rules...

Comment

Working...
                    X