• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two jobs at once? (overlap)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two jobs at once? (overlap)

Hello, a fairly long lurker here but first post. I have done a search but couldn't find anything on this one.

My story: working out notice period on permie job. Am on gardening leave until Friday 4th, then on leave until my job finishes on 22nd September. There would therefore be a one day overlap on gardening leave with the rest of the overlap coinciding with paid leave.

Have been offered a contract staring this Friday 4th.

I've phoned up my boss to get permie job end date brought forward but he doesn't know if it can be sorted in time. In the mean time he didn't think there was an issue in starting the contract whilst I'm still technically employed by old company. Is this correct?

I don't yet have the contract for the new job (all moving v quick, only offered this morning) so he has advised to wait until I have it to get back to him but I want to be clear that there are no issues if there is any overlap?

For the sake of one day I wouldnt worry about it.

There is no loss to your current soon to be ex-employer so I cant see them getting upset about it.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Don't know why you would even bother mentioning it to him!

If you want to be a contractor, you need to learn to chase the money.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        For the sake of one day I wouldnt worry about it.

There is no loss to your current soon to be ex-employer so I cant see them getting upset about it.
        Agreed.

What they gonna do, fire you?

Comment

Fail!
          Cats are evil.

Comment

A contractor I work with at the moment has just announced that he can only give 50% of his time now because a new opportunity has come up which he doesn't want to miss out on. This is while the contract is still at full steam, not the last few days.

It's in Germany though, where there seems to be more of a freelance attitude and acceptance than we have.

Comment

Thanks...

Thanks for the replies but the overlap is nearer three weeks: a day gardening leave and two weeks paid holiday. Or does the holiday not count?

Comment

Take the contract and don't worry about it, no one will care. Even if anyone did, you can easily ascribe the one day as an interview and the first invoice will be some time after.
                Don't bother telling anyone, start the contract and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Fail!
                  I agree.

This guy won't make it.

Comment

Originally posted by groovybeetlecar View Post
                    Thanks for the replies but the overlap is nearer three weeks: a day gardening leave and two weeks paid holiday. Or does the holiday not count?
                    Holiday doesn't count. The Friday is the last day they can claim you were actually expected to do anything for them, since the Holiday is yours to do what you want with anyway.

There is no loss to them, you are not working on the contract when they could reasonably expect you to have been doing anything productive for them. Start the contract and don't worry about it.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X