• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Matched betting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matched betting

Now that I am benched, can I survive on doing this for a few weeks or have the bookies sussed it and the most I can make is £9.97.

Are you talking about arbitrage?

Not sure why anything would be limited to £9.97 in the betting world

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
      Now that I am benched, can I survive on doing this for a few weeks or have the bookies sussed it and the most I can make is £9.97.
      Up the stake shirley.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Made a few hundred out of matched betting a while back when i was at uni. Taking advantage of the offers given by the bookies was easy for a while but when you have exhausted the easy offers it gets harder. i.e. in order to cash out you had to rebet the money made from the offer at least 3 times and some offers are stake not returned. Not sure on current situation as haven't done it for ages.

Also a bit dangerous if laying a low odds bet as although you only stand to win only a small amount your liability if it comes in can be huge and I remember reading some horror stories. Also made a similar although not as extreme mistake myself once although it came in in my favour - so lucky there.

Some people claim to have made tens of thousands doing it - plus the arbs, but I don't think it would be worth it really for the time they must put in.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          Also a bit dangerous if laying a low odds bet as although you only stand to win only a small amount your liability if it comes in can be huge and I remember reading some horror stories. Also made a similar although not as extreme mistake myself once although it came in in my favour - so lucky there.

Some people claim to have made tens of thousands doing it - plus the arbs, but I don't think it would be worth it really for the time they must put in.
          high surely

i.e. you lay 10 at 40/1 your liability is £390 but you stand to make a tenner if the nag loses.

The issue is that you have to manage finding a nag that can't win vs the risk of paying out on such a no hoper.

Outsides do come in quite often if you bet on enough races. You just have to hope it wasn't yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            high surely
            Thank you.

Comment

Friend of a friend does arbitrage on betfair as his full-time job. Does very well out of it IIRC.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Friend of a friend does arbitrage on betfair as his full-time job. Does very well out of it IIRC.
                You are essentially betting that one of the outcomes is over/under valued which means it's a punt. Plus you have to watch "in play".

My old housemate swore that it was a winner. He used to sit there in the lounge with the tennis on, glued to his laptop, constantly betting and chasing and by the end of the night he'd made £4. In his eyes it was £6 as he hadn't paid tax on it.

When I got back from the pub I'd point out that the guy who sold me the fried chicken I was now devouring had made considerably more in the last few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  You are essentially betting that one of the outcomes is over/under valued which means it's a punt. Plus you have to watch "in play".

My old housemate swore that it was a winner. He used to sit there in the lounge with the tennis on, glued to his laptop, constantly betting and chasing and by the end of the night he'd made £4. In his eyes it was £6 as he hadn't paid tax on it.

When I got back from the pub I'd point out that the guy who sold me the fried chicken I was now devouring had made considerably more in the last few hours.
                  Well, I don't know exactly how he does it, but I'm pretty sure he makes more than £1 an hour
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you do it properly it should be no risk. You're placing a bet and laying a bet on a 2 horse race at favourable odds. The problem is that the margin is so small you need to be doing it with thousands to make any real money. Most horror stories are about people who didn't realise there was a 3rd possible outcome, which they didn't back.

Comment

Working...
                    X