• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spread Betting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spread Betting

Anyone here dabble?

While I was on the bench for a few months last year, I made some pretty good money. Not had time since I've been non-benched, but I reckon if I can "work from home" for a couple of days a week it could be worthwhile again.
    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
    Anyone here dabble?

While I was on the bench for a few months last year, I made some pretty good money. Not had time since I've been non-benched, but I reckon if I can "work from home" for a couple of days a week it could be worthwhile again.
    Don't do it.

I guy I used to work with is about to lose his house from it.

Comment

But surely that comes from betting what you can't afford to lose?

stupid keyboard.

Comment

No, it comes from the fact that you can bet with money that doesn't really exist until it all goes horribly wrong.

Plus since you're betting on a difference, you cannot predict the scale of the outcome.

Comment

But you can limit any potential losses with your stop points to what you can afford to lose.

stupid keyboard.

Comment

If it all goes wrong you simply ask the government to bail you out.

Oh no, hang on a minute, it's just the banks that can do that.

Comment

Spread betting is a mugs game, 95% lose in the long run, and unless you have good reason why you are going to win (and thinking you have a good feel for market direction in your chosen stock or index is not a good reason) you will be one of the 95%.

Comment

Maybe, but that also assumes you can dump at that point.

Comment

I am with PL on this. It seems to me that you work out what you can afford to lose
                  then you go ahead and make sure you lose it

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Haven't tried spreadbetting but am very familiar with the betting industry from the inside. I have also tried CFDs and lost a lot of money. IMHO, it's a mug's game. If you want to have a punt stick to shares and funds. You won't lose huge amounts.

Comment

Working...
                    X