• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had good experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had good experience

When working for an Indian manager, the last thing I want this post to be is racist attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is Indian, you see, I worked for a few Indian bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an Indian manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!

Had a 6 month contract last year and had an Indian manager.. Nice chap, always busy in meetings and rarely saw him.....he spoke to me three times I think......The day I started, when we bumped into each other at the coffee machine once and told me about his weekend in Austria and then just before I left to say thanks for the great success I'd had with my projects and how pleased he was with it all

One of the best managers I've ever worked for, was left in peace to just get on with it... Will hopefully get to work for him again
    Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 3 September 2009, 21:06.

Comment

I've only had one Indian manager. He was one of the best managers I've had and a thoroughly nice chap.
      Last edited by Sysman; 4 September 2009, 10:13. Reason: typo
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Depends

One of the best managers I met was Mahesh but he had a few issues. Ex army, honest except where it clashed with his objectives etc. People are people get used to it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          People are people get used to it.
          WHS

Comment

if your previous manager was an arse it was because he was an arse not because he was Indian,

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
              When working for an Indian manager, the last thing I want this post to be is racist attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is Indian, you see, I worked for a few Indian bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an Indian manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!

...and what! I wonder what 'indian' people or others think working for their managers who are not the same as they are. Join the BNP(or your equivalent) pal and work for them. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
                ...and what! I wonder what 'indian' people or others think working for their managers who are not the same as they are. Join the BNP(or your equivalent) pal and work for them. Problem solved.
                Isn't that a bit reactionary? There's been plenty of issues reported on here about working with Indian developers, more often those located in India. And other nationalities come to that. This has generally been seen as a cultural issue, not a racial one. Why do you assume this one is racist?

Comment

Sorry but if you resort to stereotypical descriptions in conjuction with the word "they" it is going to sound racist.

Back to your point there can be a cultural difference, this will be down to the individual and also whether they grew up in the UK or are a more recent import.

Mrs Gonzo used to work for an American bank in London who have been keen in recent years to move much operations work to India (they tried Eastern Europe but that didn't work out) and so there were often managers brought in from India, her experiences were as you described.

But note, it was commonly heard from the London born staff of Indian origin when such a new manager appeared "Not another f'kin Indian!".

So I think your answer will lie in the cultural background.

Comment

Taking this at face value, as based on your previous posts, I don't believe this to be a 'racist' post I'm assuming you are referring to an Indian manager from India NOT a British Indian.

If so, I can appreciate where you are coming from as we all know there is a cultural difference when dealing with our friends on the sub-continent.

Tough one but if the gig is a good one why not give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                    X