• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another good try, but I wasn't born yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good try, but I wasn't born yesterday

Agent:
    Dear xxxxxxxxxx
    Thank you for your recent application RF TX Planners (reference: BCRFTX07A.
    We are still processing your application but have had a huge volume of replies, but we are doing our best to go through them and will be in touch.
    In the meantime I have just been give 34 vacancies which need filling urgently. They are nationwide and I wonder if you could help me? Do you know anyone who may be available to start ASAP?
    I need people who have worked specifically with switching, ideally in a BT/mobile switch room. If you know anyone who is available, I need their CVs urgently by 6pm tonight with the minimum rate they would consider. The candidates should live in the town where the roles are advertised as the rate should be kept to an absolute minimum. The cheapest 2 people will be sent across first thing in the morning. These are immediate start roles in the following locations:
    Barnsley, Croydon, Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Warrington, Glasgow, Erith (Kent), Solihull, Sunbury, Colney Street, Leyland, Bristol, Southampton, Beckton (London), Borehamwood, Aberdeen, Manningtree and Norwich.
    If we place anyone you recommend, there is a referral fee so do please contact me as soon as possible with CV, rate and availability.
    Unfortunately I am not taking calls for these positions so do please contact me by e-mail only.
    Thank you,

Me:

As luck would have it, I know of 8 contractors all ex MoD with lots of knowledge of switches etc., Please can you tell me more about these roles?

Agent:
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately I’ve only been given the brief of ‘must have worked on switches in a BT/mobile environment’.

Not much to go on I’m afraid and my contact is on a conference call, which isn’t helpful, but I have to have CVs over first thing in the morning. All I could say is that if they are interested, they should consider the lowest rate they can live comfortably with and I’ll send them all across.

I hope I will get more information tomorrow so I can let people know what they’d be doing but until then I have no idea I’m afraid!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Agent 30 mins later:
    I have managed to get some more information about the switching position, unfortunately not the nature of the role but it will be a rolling contract, 6 to 12 months initially.
    Also, I've agreed with the client to send as many people over as I have got, so I would ask you to please send the minimum rate you would consider for any position and I'll send you across anyway, and indeed anyone you know, ask them to send their CVs too.
    It doesn't matter if your normal rate is £150 or £450, please just let me know what you would consider.
    The deadline is now 11am tomorrow so I must have all CVs for this position by then.
    It looks like £200 - £225 is the going rate for the switching role though.
    Please let me know which locations suit and please bear in mind that there are no expenses paid on this.
    I appreciate your understanding on this and as I have so many positions live, hopefully we can find something for you, even if it's not the position you applied for.
    I look forward to receiving your CV and rate please.
    Many thanks,

A desparate agency me thinks

These are the type of ads that I get suckered into.

If you're on the bench remove key details off yr CV, like the prev client names, keep it vague on the organisations you worked for and send it off to them. If it goes silent then black book them

Comment

Working...
    X