• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ahem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahem

Was going to post something...

Can't be arsed now.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Was going to post something...

Can't be arsed now.
    Too late!

Is it wine or spirits you're drinking then?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      Too late!

Is it wine or spirits you're drinking then?
      Kronenbourg. Wrong thread?

Feel totally battered after this week. Just wondered why I am doing this contract. Leave early, get home late, subjected to all sorts of "every 5 minutes hassle me if its done yet even though I said it would take 4 hours" crap.

This is a big leg up in terms of picking up Lloyds insurance markets experience but fook me this is painful. Firefighting every second of the day, not a minute to catch your breath.

I wonder if this is normal for London markets, I don't remember it being so when I worked in finance.

Comment

Didn't see an update today... anything new or more of the same?

It sounds like you just stumbled into a bad situation. I'd be asking myself the following questions:

1)How important is it I have work / how easily could I get another contract?
        2)How much do I want to get into the insurance sector?
        3)Do I want to go through a pile of crap now for a future reward?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Didn't see an update today... anything new or more of the same?

It sounds like you just stumbled into a bad situation. I'd be asking myself the following questions:

1)How important is it I have work / how easily could I get another contract?
          2)How much do I want to get into the insurance sector?
          3)Do I want to go through a pile of crap now for a future reward?

Exactly that.

1. You never know until you try. Should really be counting my blessings and invoicing merrily.
          2. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOADS
          3. No, but will have to.

To be fair, they are putting measures in place to improve things. What really cocks me off was that a deadline was brought forward 3 weeks to "impress the business" while knowing the processes and environments are shot to tulip. That kind of stupidity is what has dropped us right in the tulip, and I walked into that. I don't think the "PM" will make the same mistake again, or I will chin him.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            or I will chin him.
            After whining about someone taking the pi$$ out of you I find that highly unlikely

Comment

This is not unusual crap if you are a permie. It tends to be worse as a contractor. You'll get used to it - trust me
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

If the claim that contractors are generally more capable than their permie counterparts is true, shouldn't we expect contractors to be dumped into horrible messes as the "hired gun"?

Provided they are paid accordingly of course... sorting out the whole system doesn't sound like £200/day work for instance. Is the rate worth it SY01?

BTW, why do you want an in to insurance? Simply the money, or is there something about that sector that makes it intrinsically interesting to you?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If the claim that contractors are generally more capable than their permie counterparts is true, shouldn't we expect contractors to be dumped into horrible messes as the "hired gun"?

Provided they are paid accordingly of course... sorting out the whole system doesn't sound like £200/day work for instance. Is the rate worth it SY01?
                  BTW, why do you want an in to insurance? Simply the money, or is there something about that sector that makes it intrinsically interesting to you?
                  Day rate not too bad, but could be better.

Rate not worth this amount of crap, no.

>>BTW, why do you want an in to insurance?

I am told that once you have six months solid Lloyds market experience you will never be out of work again. Who wouldn't want that?

Comment

I used to be a firm believer in the whole "think of the money" thing but having now experienced a job that was driving me mad I've changed my mind. No amount of money is worth feeling like tulip. I kept telling myself I would keep at it, things would get better, look good on the CV etc.

Since I left and started a new gig the difference it's made is obvious even to myself. I'm less irritable, have more energy and I'm happier generally. I'd take a lower rate and happiness any day over feeling rich and miserable.

Not very contractor-like I know, but it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X