• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sinusitis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinusitis

Yes I am posting another problem on here. No I am not a sockie. Anyone got any good home remedies for this? Tried steam inhalation.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yes I am posting another problem on here. No I am not a sockie. Anyone got any good home remedies for this? Tried steam inhalation.
    Bromelain, an enzyme derived from pineapple, breaks down mucus, fights infections and relieves the symptoms of sinusitis. In a double-blind trial, 87 per cent of patients who took it reported good or excellent results (Headache, 7: 13-17, 1967). In another reported study, bromelain apparently resolved sinus infections in 85 per cent of patients after nine days of treatment, whereas antibiotics only had a 52 per cent success rate (Traditional Wisdom, 2002 on www.healthyhealing.com). The recommended dosage is 1,500mg of bromelain a day.

Olive leaf extract and goldenseal are both effective in fighting underlying bacterial or fungal infections. Naturopath Dr Donald Gay of Ontario, Canada, claims that, after three and a half weeks of treatment with olive leaf extract, his chronic sinusitis -- that had plagued him for ten years - was cured.

Vitamin C is well known for its ability to strengthen the immune system and reduce allergic reactions. It can also reduce sinus congestion directly, by reducing levels of histamine (J. Nutr., 110: 662-8, 1980). This chemical, which is produced in your body, causes inflammation and swelling of the mucous membranes, so blocking off the narrow openings from your nose into your sinuses. Take one gram of vitamin C three times a day.

Zinc is another nutrient with multiple benefits. It kills the common cold virus, so shortening the duration of a cold and reducing the risk that sinusitis will result. It boosts your immune system, enabling it to deal better with bacterial or fungal infections (Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 32: 1466, 1979). It is also an essential part of the enzymes needed for essential fatty acids to do their job of reducing pain and inflammation. Take 15mg of zinc three times a day.

Quercetin is one of a group of compounds called flavonoids that occur naturally in fruits and vegetables. Quercetin increases the effectiveness of vitamin C in the body and can also inhibit the inflammatory processes involved in sinusitis by blocking the release of inflammatory substances such as histamine (Prog. Clin. Biol. Res., 213: 231-242, 1986). The recommended daily dose of quercetin is 1,000mg.

HTH
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Long walk off a short pier...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Bromelain...

... quercetin is 1,000mg.

HTH
        Really did, thanks.

Comment

Really did, thanks.
          I think it boils (groan), down to eat fruit and veg
          Me, me, me...

Comment

+50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
              Long walk off a short pier...
              So salt water would help?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Oi!

Comment

Oi!
                  I think it is time for you/Tingles to 'fess up
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    I think it is time for you/Tingles to 'fess up
                    Busted. Tingles is my sockie. Mods, please delete Tingles account.

Comment

Working...
                    X