• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bbc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bbc

so why when there are race riots on the streets of Birmingham does the BBC fail to report on them (they did have the anniversary of the Girl Guides though, whichbwas nice), yet SKY had it as a lead story

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    so why when there are race riots on the streets of Birmingham does the BBC fail to report on them (they did have the anniversary of the Girl Guides though, whichbwas nice), yet SKY had it as a lead story
    Because the BBC is afraid to cover it. As a Public Service Broadcaster they absolutely should be covering it.

I wouldn't be the first to suggest that the BBC is in fact quite often overtly political.

Comment

rather than being afraid i was wondering if they just want to look at the UK through rose coloured glassses and believe that the way the country is going/gone is working fine

Comment

On 2nd thoughts mrdonuts perhaps you weren't looking closely enough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/8239818.stm

Apologies to the BBC

Comment

nope no apologies needed i watched the bbc last night and continually flicked between it and sky no sign of it. They may have posted a piece to the website that was deemed not suitable for terrestrial though

Comment

nope no apologies needed i watched the bbc last night and continually flicked between it and sky no sign of it. They may have posted a piece to the website that was deemed not suitable for terrestrial though
            Ah ok fair enough.

Comment

In the 90s when the OJ Simpson trial was at an end and the jury were coming back - even in this country everyone wanted to know if he would be sent down or get away...

The verdict was due at exactly 6pm UK time. After the credits for the six o'clock news ran, the newsreader said something like... "And straight away, we are now going to take you live to.... the labour party conference."

I kid you not. They went live to the conference to show a recorded, I repeat, recorded speech by leader of the opposition Tony Blair earlier that day. It wasn't even a live speech. I think they mentioned OJ's acquital in passing on the 3rd news item.

It was like they went out of their way not to report on something that was clearly newsworthy to a lot of viewers. A secondary factor was that at the time (mid 90s), the BBC were seen as very, very friendly with the labour party. The labour spin doctors (in opposition remember) had been pestering the TV news channels to ignore the OJ verdict, but the BBC were the only one's that obliged.

Linky link http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/96jun/blair/blair.htm

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

More Geoffrey Wheatcroft: The BBC wants public funds to fritter on free-market pay

Once upon a time the BBC was rather a puritanical sort of organisation, and I don't just mean the stern Sir John Reith's insistence that adultery was a sacking offence. Nobody used to join the corporation to get rich. That didn't stop it attracting plenty of talent. I well remember how BBC traineeships were the hottest, most sought-after ambition for graduates in the late 1960s. They were ambitious, that is, to make good programmes, have fun and, no doubt, meet glamorous, liberated girls – but not to make a pile.
                I remember a college acquaintance getting a job at the Beeb. Back then it really was a prestige job but the pay wasn't good at all. If I remember correctly he was starting on less than 2K p.a. at a time when a typical graduate would get 2.5 - 3K.

And young James Murdoch's attack on the Beeb and Ofcom:

he BBC news website, argued Murdoch, is preventing commercial news organisations from investing in news, with potentially dire consequences for society and democracy. "The [BBC] news operation is creating enormous problems for the independent news business and it has to be dealt with," he said. "The BBC should not be in the business of competing with professional journalists. The consequences [for] independent journalists is probably the most urgent one to deal with." News International's papers are struggling to make money from their websites and Murdoch is considering introducing charges. But that's difficult when the BBC provides online news and other services free.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  In the 90s when the OJ Simpson trial was at an end and the jury were coming back - even in this country everyone wanted to know if he would be sent down or get away...

The verdict was due at exactly 6pm UK time. After the credits for the six o'clock news ran, the newsreader said something like... "And straight away, we are now going to take you live to.... the labour party conference."

I kid you not. They went live to the conference to show a recorded, I repeat, recorded speech by leader of the opposition Tony Blair earlier that day. It wasn't even a live speech. I think they mentioned OJ's acquital in passing on the 3rd news item.

It was like they went out of their way not to report on something that was clearly newsworthy to a lot of viewers. A secondary factor was that at the time (mid 90s), the BBC were seen as very, very friendly with the labour party. The labour spin doctors (in opposition remember) had been pestering the TV news channels to ignore the OJ verdict, but the BBC were the only one's that obliged.

Linky link http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/96jun/blair/blair.htm
                  Seems fair enough to me. What possible interest is there in the inevitable confirmation of how corrupt the septic legal system is? Two non-stories, so they went with the british one.

The BBC is politically biased I agree, but in this case I would have done the same thing. In fact, I wouldn't have bothered covering the OJ "trial" at all.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

so why when there are race riots on the streets of Birmingham does the BBC fail to report on them
                    You might want to check the definition of "race riots" there. As far as I can tell, it was a little group of those "extreme right wing" retards (i.e. the right wing types who like to dress up all hard and embarass the rest of us by claiming that they are English) being confronted by a number of middle class people who are really most put out by the whole thing and have nothing better to do.

Why anyone would want to give publicity to either of them is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                    X