• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your British Gas Gas/Electricity bill how much is it ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your British Gas Gas/Electricity bill how much is it ?

Ok here is the story, I'm a bloke living alone and have done for the past 2.5 years in my 2 bedroom flat.

In terms of gas usage I have 1 bath every day (I got a Wocester Bosch Combi boiler to heat water), I never cook with gas hardly, I do washing up though with hot water almost every night. The central heating was on last year for 3 months for about 4-5 hours per night (4 radiators) - its been off since start of Feb.

I terms of electricity usuage, I almost constantly charge up 4xAAA batteries, I have a laptop on most nights 8pm-midnight, I sometimes use the big 63" plasma TV say on average 2 hours per night (if that), I have roughtly 2-3 light bulbs on every night from around 7pm to midnight and the various Wii and Virgin V+ on Standby most of the time.

My British Gas ELECTRICITY bill is £91 per month.
    My British Gas GAS bill is £34 per month but they wrote me a letter stating that they want to increase it to £85 per month - a real cheek as I signed something which would cap the price some time ago, now they are claiming its not the price that they are changing its to re-adjust how much I've used.

I've not had a meter reading in over 1.2 years done by them, I did my last meter reading online.

I'm wondering is this is because somehow they mis-calculated how much I was using when I moved in 2.4 years ago or something.

Question is do you think for a bloke living alone in a 2 bedroom flat is £90 quid or so per month for Gas and another £90 quid or so for electricity is a fair deal ? or do you think they have mis-calculated badly ? how much is yours ?

These are hard times rat fans and penny pinching is the way forward !

Just had my gas and electricity bills in for the quarter;

Electricity - £126
    Gas - £26

Two bedroom house. In the winter the combined bills are usually around £300 for the quarter when the gas central heating gets switched on.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

2 people
      2 bed house (Gas CH)
      3 PC turned on 95% of time
      1-2 TV's on 4/5 hours per night

Average combined bill per quarter:
      Summer: £200
      Winter: £320

So yeah, would say you are overpaying

Though, one thing that might be jacking up your bill, you keeping the hot water tank hot all day long?

Comment

Have you done meter readings yourself and calculated the usage/cost?

It does sound like they are taking the piss. I live in a three bed house with two computers constantly running, various boxes on standby, use the dishwasher every day etc. Hot water and heating is from an ancient, inefficient gas boiler. House has poor insulation.

My last gas bill was £200 (for four months)
        Last elec bill was £180

I've experienced these 'optimistic' estimates of your energy usage in the past. I think they just want to get your money in their account for six months (they will tell you it's a 'service' so you don't end up with a big bill).

Times are, indeed, hard. Tell them to get stuffed.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I don't have the figures to hand but the other year I ran on estimates for about six months; come January, Eon wanted over £150 for one month for a single-bedroom flat

I entered a reading online and ended up nearly £30 in credit

They always inflate their estimates in order to get your money and earn interest from it. This is one of the reasons I now refuse to pay for energy by Direct Debit; I'd rather pay the bill monthly online with a debit card, as at least I can see when they're clearly taking the Mick, and can then brave the spiders in the cellar to give them a reading.

Comment

Change so that you pay each bill as it comes in. They always try to get you to pay a flat rate but I always tell them to get lost. Some companies won`t even mention the options that are available, they just try to get you to pay in a flat rate each month.

Payment menthod aside, I have all electric in my Mon-Friday pad, but do loads of cooking and enjoy a lengthy shower. My last bill was £65 for 2.5 months (southern electric). Over the winter I had a few £200 quartely bills which was when the rates were higher than they are now, but that includes the running of three storage heaters on high (I hate the cold) and using a tumble dryer three times a week.

Look around at different suppliers but fairly recently BG was one of the cheapest (depending on tariff)
            Last edited by SuperZ; 6 September 2009, 12:21.

Comment

Large 2 bed flat, mostly evening usage of elec & gas, but pretty much everything left on standy, run 2 laptops, printers etc

Gas £21 pm, regular direct debit, often in credit
              Elec £15 pm, regular direct debit, often in credit

All with Southern Electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                2 people
                2 bed house (Gas CH)
                3 PC turned on 95% of time
                1-2 TV's on 4/5 hours per night

Average combined bill per quarter:
                Summer: £200
                Winter: £320

So yeah, would say you are overpaying

Though, one thing that might be jacking up your bill, you keeping the hot water tank hot all day long?
                Where did he say he did this?

He said he has a combi boiler. He gets instant hot water from his gas boiler.

My usage is pretty much the same as his (though I wish I could turn the CH off in Feb!) and my bills for the past 12 moths have totalled.

Leccy 300 pounds
                Gas 260 pounds

tim

Comment

Single miserable old git here. 2 bed pre war detached with little insulation.
                  Tight fisted so things not usually left on standby and 50% of bulbs are energy savers. Keep an eye on tariffs and switch suppliers when a cheaper one comes along. Combi boiler.

Gas £35 per month, leccy £20.

So yes, you are being shafted.

Comment

My previous dual fuel bill was £909 although because nPower went to single billing, it was for more than a quarter.

My last dual fuel bill was £400 odd. I hate single billing and am looking to move to another supplier who do two bills instead of one.

I currently pay by cheque and am considering DD to save more money.

EDIT; forgot to add that's for a 4 bed detached with teenagers who dont turn off the ******* lights!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X