• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Benefits Whilst Contracting - Allowed??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Benefits Whilst Contracting - Allowed??

Ok - Very simple question and I am sure the answer is straightforward.

If you are a contractor and being paid £5 an hour can you apply for council tax benefits and everything else that you might be entitled too??

Course you can apply!

Doesnt mean your claim will be successful though.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Yes, it’s one of the things you should do. The other is to not pay yourself any PAYE and then you can sign on. With a little bit of luck you’ll be able to blag yourself onto sickness benefits too then you wont have to disappear once a fortnight to sign on.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

We claim family tax credits and child tax credits - an extra £140-ish a week.
        A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

yes

I have been on the "minimum wage" for a year. If you have kids you can get about 6K. So my effective tax rate is about -4K after NI and paying accountant. Just dump the rest into your pension.

This is my plan B get about 100K in company wait till kids are 16-18, pay mortgage off in one year balloon.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
            We claim family tax credits and child tax credits - an extra £140-ish a week.
            And you ar eon the bench with no savings? Otherwise sounds like you are commiting fraud
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              And you ar eon the bench with no savings? Otherwise sounds like you are commiting fraud
              Any particular reason? You just think anyone earning is automatically ineligible for any benefits? That's certainly not the case.
              Although I thought Joey was supposedly on £400/day even after being raped by his agent... I think you'd have to have severely disabled octuplets to get benefits on that kind of income.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Any particular reason? You just think anyone earning is automatically ineligible for any benefits? That's certainly not the case.
                Although I thought Joey was supposedly on £400/day even after being raped by his agent... I think you'd have to have severely disabled octuplets to get benefits on that kind of income.
                Good point - well said....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Good point - well said....
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Leave me out of your sordid sock games!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X