PDA

View Full Version : UI Fail

NickFitz
6th September 2009, 18:00
One of the most annoying user interface flaws, IMHO, is when a web site wants a credit or debit card number, and rejects it if you include the spaces that are shown on the card.

I just went to pay a council tax bill, and the form there went one "better": the field for your card number has a JavaScript event handler that actively rejects spaces (along with all other non-numeric characters) :tantrum:

FFS people, this is Usability 101: it's hard for humans to read a string of 16 digits and be sure they got them all correct and/or in the right order. This is why the card is manufactured with spaces in the number dividing it into easy-to-read four digit groups.

If your back-end system wants it without spaces, then strip the spaces on the back-end when you process the input, don't just prevent them being input at all in the user interface. Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy :mad

And who was responsible for providing this chunk of fail? Step forward Crapita, renowned purveyors of barely-functional, badly-designed usability nightmares to the powers-that-be at our expense.

:throw: :spank: :fight:

Zippy
6th September 2009, 18:11
Nice rant :yay:

How about websites where your payment has been taken and you don't get a proper receipt?
Bought some stuff this afternoon and you had to search really hard for the 'Your payment was successful' bit (went off to verified by visa screen). The page came back and prominently displayed instructions on how to pay by phone or post which was confusing. Fortunately the rest of the site looked like a sack of tulip so I knew it was probably OK, and read down the rest of the page ...

tim123
6th September 2009, 18:43
One of the most annoying user interface flaws, IMHO, is when a web site wants a credit or debit card number, and rejects it if you include the spaces that are shown on the card.

I just went to pay a council tax bill, and the form there went one "better": the field for your card number has a JavaScript event handler that actively rejects spaces (along with all other non-numeric characters) :tantrum:

FFS people, this is Usability 101: it's hard for humans to read a string of 16 digits and be sure they got them all correct and/or in the right order. This is why the card is manufactured with spaces in the number dividing it into easy-to-read four digit groups.

If your back-end system wants it without spaces, then strip the spaces on the back-end when you process the input, don't just prevent them being input at all in the user interface. Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy :mad

And who was responsible for providing this chunk of fail? Step forward Crapita, renowned purveyors of barely-functional, badly-designed usability nightmares to the powers-that-be at our expense.

What annoys me more are the ones that reject the payment and then put you back at a page where all the boxes are blank so you can't check what it was that you entered wrongly

tim

TimberWolf
6th September 2009, 18:47

WHS. I've had that a lot and it is annoying.

Sysman
6th September 2009, 18:57
Another one is phone numbers, and mobile phones themselves are guilty here.

OwlHoot
6th September 2009, 19:08

WHS

Ditto with phone numbers - I mean how hard is it to compress out a couple of spaces? :mad

edit: oops, sorry - Repeating what sysman said.

VectraMan
6th September 2009, 20:51
What annoys me more are the ones that reject the payment and then put you back at a page where all the boxes are blank so you can't check what it was that you entered wrongly

That's really annoying.

Though it has to be said that the vast majority of web interfaces (including this one) are terrible, because they don't do feedback. You press submit and nothing happens for a few seconds, in which time the user decides to press submit again, which may or may not submit it twice, or not at all.

FiveTimes
6th September 2009, 20:59
I think map quest is the same with post codes, it doesn't recognise the space either :tantrum:

TimberWolf
6th September 2009, 23:34
A bit off topic, but does everyone do AJAXie / Web 2.0 (whatever that is) stuff now?

NickFitz
7th September 2009, 01:24
A bit off topic, but does everyone do AJAXie / Web 2.0 (whatever that is) stuff now?

Many do it.

Most do it badly.

Correction: almost all do it appallingly badly. I look at things like the jQuery mailing list, or the web UI questions on StackOverflow.com, and the first question that springs to my mind isn't "How can I help them achieve what they want?" - it's "WTF??? Why would any sane person even dream of creating such a bloody appalling user experience in the first place?" :confused:

d000hg
7th September 2009, 01:27
"Ooh, we can make EVERYTHING update using AJAX!!!"

threaded
7th September 2009, 04:03
What about getting some offshore outfit to build a web site for a region, say somewhere like Høje Tåstrup, and not allowing the letters æ, ø or å in the address.

But I shouldn't complain. :banana:

Sysman
7th September 2009, 08:46
What about getting some offshore outfit to build a web site for a region, say somewhere like Høje Tåstrup, and not allowing the letters æ, ø or å in the address.

But I shouldn't complain. :banana:

Another example: US format dates 09/07/2009.

minestrone
7th September 2009, 08:47
Do you know how much it would cost the UK for Crapita to add that one line of code to remove spaces from the input?

TimberWolf
7th September 2009, 08:57
Another example: US format dates 09/07/2009.

:spel 9/11, or should I say 11/9

MPwannadecentincome
8th September 2009, 14:43
Do you know how much it would cost the UK for Crapita to add that one line of code to remove spaces from the input?

Its not necessarily the cost, there are problably 500+ more urgent issues to resolve that they never get down to the lower priorities

I quite agree but all sites are like this aren't they - I have not seen one site that allows spaces? Maybe I am so used to not entering them now I have not seen which ones will accept them.