• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kindle in UK, are you getting one? Which book do you want?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle in UK, are you getting one? Which book do you want?

So assuming that Kindle launches in the UK soon, are any of you going to buy it? (I'm not talking about pros cons, sony 505 etc), just whether you're buying it?
    And if so what are the first paid books that you are going to load on it?
    Is there anything there isn't on amzon that you would want on kindle?

Its a great idea, I can run Adobe .pdf on my HTC Touch Pro 2 and its just about clearly readable. The phone was free.

Though, forking out 200+ quid for one of these if a tad excessive given that the books you can legally get onto them are limited in range and they are very sought after by local yobbos (the Kindle, not the virtual books).

Comment

no, im buying the sony reader because:

- it feels more like a book after having played with it in the bookstore
      - saves me lugging back 6 books everytime I go back to the uk
      - planning on spending less time in uk and books in germany are expensive, downloadable books are far cheaper
      - good range of titles to choose from
      - i dont need "always on" internet connectivity (like the kindle has) as I'll mainly be reading it while on the underground or in a plane etc.
      - sony reader copes with .pdf .rtf and .docs, the kindle doesnt unless you convert them, extra hassle
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Ah, I specifically didn't want the sony vs kindle here, did I not make that clear in my original post (btw kindle can read PDF now, they both suck)..
        Anyway let me rephrase the question, which book for the kindle or sony would you be willing to pay for?
        I'm looking for something generic, not "LINQ in 24hrs" or "Real-time feed aggregation", I think..
        Something on managing time and people better perhaps?

Comment

no i will not buy either or. not that i don't like the technology or that i'm a luddite it's just that i like books. y'know with covers and pages and stuff.

ok i'm a luddite.

actually, if (when) i get another job travelling and being away from home i probably will get one. damn. that's a maybe then.

which one is best?

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            no, im buying the sony reader because:

- it feels more like a book after having played with it in the bookstore
            - saves me lugging back 6 books everytime I go back to the uk
            - planning on spending less time in uk and books in germany are expensive, downloadable books are far cheaper
            - good range of titles to choose from
            - i dont need "always on" internet connectivity (like the kindle has) as I'll mainly be reading it while on the underground or in a plane etc.
            - sony reader copes with .pdf .rtf and .docs, the kindle doesnt unless you convert them, extra hassle
            Mr P got me one for my birthday - its brilliant. I use it everyday.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I bought sony PRS-505 yesterday for 150 quids
              its brilliant , you can store thousands of books if using SD card
              Only snag is its a bit slow while turning pages.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                So assuming that Kindle launches in the UK soon, are any of you going to buy it?
                Have you heard any news that it might be launched?

Yes, i'd have one, whilst i love the look, smell and feel of a real book, i go through one a week and currently have a lot of book cases crammed full so something like the kindle would be great.

Have played with the Sony one and liked it but like the idea of the wireless download on the Kindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  Have you heard any news that it might be launched?
                  NDA, but it will be soon...

Still I wonder what kind of books do you guys read/want to read on those?
                  Prose, technical, short long?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    I bought sony PRS-505 yesterday for 150 quids
                    its brilliant , you can store thousands of books if using SD card
                    Only snag is its a bit slow while turning pages.
                    where did you get it from?
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X