• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent paying my invoices by cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent paying my invoices by cash

Not all of them, just some from time to time ..

Should I be worried ? I do not understand where would he get cash in this type of business, he should receive all his payments from clients by BACS ..

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Not all of them, just some from time to time ..

Should I be worried ? I do not understand where would he get cash in this type of business, he should receive all his payments from clients by BACS ..
    Sounds most unusual. Is he taking account of VAT etc? Do you give him a receipt for it and keep a copy or get a remittance slip showing the break down against your invoice?

Not nesseserily something to worry about, but definately not normal.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

No, he deposits it directly into my account in his local branch (I can see it from my bank statement). VAT inclusive, figures match invoice.

I am just thinking, could it be an indication of something wrong going on .. e.g. serious cash flow problems or some sophisticated money laundering scheme ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        No, he deposits it directly into my account in his local branch (I can see it from my bank statement). VAT inclusive, figures match invoice.

I am just thinking, could it be an indication of something wrong going on .. e.g. serious cash flow problems or some sophisticated money laundering scheme ?
        Scenario? Pimp gets paid by clientco by electronic transfer. Pimp also has arrangement where he legitimises cash for drug dealer etc. Pays cash to your account and electronic transfer to drug dealer.

Why would pimp be receiving cash? Are you paid weekly? And I guess below £3k/week - the level they start asking questions or gets flagged. There's only so many cars you can sell.

In an inspection several years down the line you will be the one explaining why the receipts are in cash - he could have said anything when he put it there. I would ask for payments to be made the normal way. Professional business is not done in cash - unless its the oldest profession and even some of them I believe take cards now.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Sounds strange. I wonder if he's adding a couple of hundred on to the invoices you're sending him. He then takes out the cash for the modified invoice, pays you the amount you originially invoiced for and pockets the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            Pays cash to your account and electronic transfer to drug dealer.

Why would pimp be receiving cash? Are you paid weekly? And I guess below £3k/week - the level they start asking questions or gets flagged.
            Is it as simple as that, one can take a couple of grand out of his pocket and say this is my company's money from now on ? Shouldn't this money be accounted first ? If you made no withdrawals and all your clients pay electronically, how do you record this money ?

p.s. it was more than £3K on a couple of occasions ..

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
              Sounds strange. I wonder if he's adding a couple of hundred on to the invoices you're sending him. He then takes out the cash for the modified invoice, pays you the amount you originially invoiced for and pockets the difference.
              Sounds plausible. The specific agent adding his own cut on top of his agency's cut.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                Can see this scenario working, but this is such a stupid thing to do, any investigation will instantly reveal the difference between contact values / timesheets / invoices etc. ..

could it be something related to BTL income ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hex View Post
                  Sounds plausible. The specific agent adding his own cut on top of his agency's cut.
                  it's a freelance agent, he is "the agency"

Comment

Doesn't a BACS payment cost £20 or so? Maybe he has just worked out that by withdrawing and depositing cash he is saving that £20 EACH week to EAC contractor. It soons adds up. Very frugal!

DICLAIMER: I have no idea if any of this is ptrue or even remotely plausible.

Comment

Working...
                    X