• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partition Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partition Software

ok, I've gone and bought a 500Gb Hard Disk for my laptop, installed Win 7 and all the other software I want on it and now I want to partition whats left

i.e 500gb disk, used so far say 100gb (no idea but just giving an example), want to partition disk into C and D drives both with 250Gb on each.

what software would the panel recommend?

In the past I've used PQ Magic but that was Win 98 era, Paragon's Partition Manager has been suggested but I'd just like to see if there's anything else recommended on the market
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Partition Magic 8 was a freebie on a cover disk some time ago, so you might be able to find a free download. Never had any problems with it, but that doesn't mean you won't.....

Comment

EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition.

I got it from download.com and it works a treat.

Comment

Have heard good things about Acronis Disk Director.

No experience of it myself.

Comment

User a hex editor and write your own partition.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Doesn`t Windows 7 have this built in? Vista does, you can shrink a volume and create new in the space left over.

I have partition magic but haven`t used it for years now - even with XP you could set the paritions up during the OS install I think. With Vista you definatley can and I`m sure you can shirnk a partitions afterwards also and create a new particition.I find I only want to set the partitions up once then leave it like that, hence why I don`t need the aftermarket paritioning software

Comment

Good lord! You mean Vista can actually do something useful by creating some disc space that doesn't have crappy Vista on it?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I use Parted Magic. Download the ISO, burn to CD and you are away; handled the windows file system that Vista uses with out any problems.

Comment

Another vote for EASEUS here.

Mind you I normally set up the partitions at install.....

Comment

GPartEd

Comment

Working...
                    X