• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else be called by agency...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else be called by agency...

based in Maidenhead? The agent has a very strong Indian accent. So strong it was a struggle to understand and called off a mobile. It was strange as they started off with "we have a company wanting a PM and as the market is so bad they will only pay £175 a day". I then asked which agency he was calling from which I couldn't understand. I just gave up on the call as it was too difficult.

Really curious now as it just seemed a bit dodgy.

PM@175/day? I'd have suggested that he GTF.

Comment

I stated the lowest I would go and that was that. I guess if it was something dodgy now I think about it they would offer something more lucrative than £175 a day. Hey ho!

Comment

It's probably another client who doesn't understand contracting. They need a PM, the agent asked what daily rate they would pay. Client manager thinks "Daily rate? Well, normally we'd pay 45k for a PM and 175 * 5 * 52 = 45,500 so that seems fair.". The agent may well have told them that wouldn't be enough but what can they do?

Comment

Sounds about right.

I would be better off taking a permanent role tbh. I have told myself to keep dropping my rate each week and be as flexible as possible but am not at the stage where I am that flexible.

Comment

expect alot of this

With the news today on legislation that all companies must advertise for 1 month [wooope do] before roles can be given to those outside of EU - its only going to get worse

I had a call around 8pm few tuesdays back - same thing - mobile number, doesnt introduce themselves, and says they have a role paying upto "insert pittance here"

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
              expect alot of this

With the news today on legislation that all companies must advertise for 1 month [wooope do] before roles can be given to those outside of EU - its only going to get worse

I had a call around 8pm few tuesdays back - same thing - mobile number, doesnt introduce themselves, and says they have a role paying upto "insert pittance here"
              Ridiculous!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
                based in Maidenhead? The agent has a very strong Indian accent. So strong it was a struggle to understand and called off a mobile. It was strange as they started off with "we have a company wanting a PM and as the market is so bad they will only pay £175 a day". I then asked which agency he was calling from which I couldn't understand. I just gave up on the call as it was too difficult.

Really curious now as it just seemed a bit dodgy.
                Interesting. I had a call from an Indian guy asking if I'd be interested in a 6 month PM role in Spain (Oh Yes !!) - Asked about company, location, rate etc. and he couldn't give me any info whatsoever - told him to email me his contact details and that was that ! Thought it was dodgy at the time and no mail ever arrived - Wonder what's going on with people of the Indian persuasion ??

Comment

Originally posted by rabiddog View Post
                  Interesting. I had a call from an Indian guy asking if I'd be interested in a 6 month PM role in Spain (Oh Yes !!) - Asked about company, location, rate etc. and he couldn't give me any info whatsoever - told him to email me his contact details and that was that ! Thought it was dodgy at the time and no mail ever arrived - Wonder what's going on with people of the Indian persuasion ??
                  They could be training, maybe S3 are moving off-shore.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I've seen roles advertised at this rate for jobs that usually command a better rate so that there is justification for a Bob Shawadiwadi
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X