• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheism R.I.P.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atheism R.I.P.

Why we are born to believe in God: It's wired into the brain, says psychologist

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0QRSJN1tS

"His work is supported by other researchers who have found evidence linking religious feelings and experience to particular regions of the brain.

They suggest people are programmed to receive a feeling of spirituality from electrical activity in these areas.

The findings challenge atheists such as Richard Dawkins, the author of The God Delusion, who has long argued that religious beliefs result from poor education and childhood 'indoctrination'.
    Conclusion: no one is born an atheist. One needs to be indoctrinated into atheism. We are born believers. Praise God. Bible taught us this 2000 years ago:-

St Paul, 2000 years ago:
    For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. (Romans 12:3 NKJV)

Psychologists, today:
    Humans are programmed to believe in God because it gives them a better chance of survival, researchers claim.

cobblers

Comment

Some days it is such a pleasure to not be human.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        cobblers
        denying science, are we

Comment

What bunk said. What primitive man needed and what civilised society needs are two different things.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

....and last time I checked Psychology wasn't a science.

Comment

Ah the age old search for the "god spot" in the brain.

I could equally point to research proving the opposite - for example the study done by Professor Jordan Grafman (from the US National Institute of Neurological Disorders) showing that several areas of the brain are involved in religious belief....one within the frontal lobes of the cortex – which are unique to humans – and another in the more evolutionary-ancient regions deeper inside the brain, which humans share with apes and other primates.

To quote him directly..."There is nothing unique about religious belief in these brain structures. Religion doesn't have a 'God spot' as such, instead it's embedded in a whole range of other belief systems in the brain that we use everyday."

And in any case, if we are prewired to believe in this god thing, why do remote tribes in Africa, or more recently Eskimos who have not been indoctrinated by the religious brigade, not believe in a god? Surely if we were prewired they would be busily building churches before the god-botherers got to them??

No, it is not that people are indoctrinated by atheism. Far more accurate is to say that people are indoctrinated by the religious brigade....thankfully there are signs that the human race is beginning to wisen up though (example the majority desire to get the influence of the church out of US politics).
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I agree, atheism is learnt - as is religion. All of you damned atheists started out in life believing in ghosts and other supernatural entities hiding in dark corners and bogeymen under the bed. Some people learn to accept more rational explanations for these primitive fears and emotions, while others continue to believe in ghosts or learn about more sophisticated supernatural entities.

Comment

Having witnessed God over the weekend - you ought to know - there are Two Gods .

Both are female.

One is Blonde and the other Brunette.

And both have the most incredible eyes.

Sorry - theres no bloke with a Beard waiting to beat you up for your sins.
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 7 September 2009, 19:27.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                    Why we are born to believe in God: It's wired into the brain, says psychologist

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0QRSJN1tS

Conclusion: no one is born an atheist. One needs to be indoctrinated into atheism. We are born believers. Praise God. Bible taught us this 2000 years ago:-

St Paul, 2000 years ago:
                    For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. (Romans 12:3 NKJV)

Psychologists, today:
                    Humans are programmed to believe in God because it gives them a better chance of survival, researchers claim.
                    Lovely misinterpretation there, well done.
                    What it actualy says is that humans are predisposed to be superstitious which means they will be easily indoctrinated in some cult or another. What it says is that humans are predisposed to believe in the supernatural and wary of anything scary. Good survival instinct that: If it is dark and scary sta away from it.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X